Deep Grooves Mastering - Project Bladerunner

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

opcode66

Re: Deep Grooves Mastering - Project Bladerunner

Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:25 pm

Finally home after a very long back breaking trip. Moved an entire house worth of stuff. Ugggghhhh!

New Bladerunner video is imminent. Stay tuned!
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

dimi751

Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:38 am

Cool thanks Todd for update

I would like to test this vst for you but im run Mac cubasis 6

Will work on Mac in
later stages ?

Dimi

misjah

Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:51 pm

Plugin didn't load on win7/wavelab 6

opcode66

Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:01 pm

I'm downloading the trial of Wavelab 8. I don't use it personally. I'll get it to work with that. That should allow it to work with the prior version. But, I can't guarantee that. I'm tested on Win XP and Ableton 8 during initial development. Now, I'm testing on Win7 and Ableton 9 as well as Win7 and ProTools via fxPansion. Will post an update later today. Thanks for your input! Much appreciated.

Once everything is stable and bug free, I will port the code to my mac machine and compile it in XCode as an AU.
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

opcode66

Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:39 pm

I figured it out. You must be running the 64 bit version of Wavelab. I will compile the control for both 32 and 64 bit.

opcode66

Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:11 am

I compiled my control to both 32 bit and 64 bit. They are both in the zip file below. I installed the 64 bit trial version of Wavelab 8. The control is recognized, loads and functions as expected. Please download the latest build and copy the files to your vst folder. I've added the first round of the HF Limiter. I'm going to tweak it a bit. So, this is not the full BSB replacement. But, getting closer. Also, there are some clicking sounds when you move certain sliders while audio is playing. I'm working a solution to that. I fixed some of the sliders. But, other will require extensive coding to insure that the output doesn't pop because of very differing values.

Test and Enjoy! Feedback appreciated.
DGMVSTTest.zip
DGMVSTTest Wavelab.png
DGMVSTTest Ableton.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SueDenim

Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:11 am

Some real nice work there Todd, as usual ;)
Happy to test the ported AU on my setup when you have the first builds available.

recordboy

Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:45 am

This is a wonderful thread!!!

Best wishes upon yr projects...

_cheers
Cheers,
recordboy

opcode66

Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:54 pm

Shooting video today! Will post as soon as possible. I've just been super busy with Caruso builds, development of the VST effect for record cutters, final development of my Neumann EW-74 cutterhead equivalent, a MIDIToLatheControl build for a fellow troll, a few master lacquers for clients and I was in Georgia for close to 3 weeks. I've wasted no time since I've been back.

Video should be posted by tomorrow. Instead of just showing you the cutting and playback and few glimpses in the scope, I plan to have extensive analysis of the grooves via my scope video camera. Nothing will be left to the imagination. Everything will be exposed clearly. If you cut records regularly, you can read grooves. So, this next video should be of more interest to you.

recordboy

Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:09 pm

very excited to see :)
Cheers,
recordboy

dimi751

Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:18 pm

I'm exited too record boy Todd doing some really cool stuff looking forward to blade runer
Cutterhead updates
How long Todd you keeping me in waiting suspense !! I think it's worth wait for this can't wait !!

EpicenterBryan

Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:27 pm

opcode66 wrote:Shooting video today! Will post as soon as possible.
The silence is deafening!

B

opcode66

Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:06 pm

Doing contract work to pay rent... Trust me, I'd rather be working on Bladerunner.

opcode66

Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:01 am

Finished Version 1 of my Vinyl Mastering VST named Dr. Cuts. I've made available versions for 32/64 bit Windows and Mac. Please check out my new thread here:

http://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5469

And, the long awaited Blade Runner update will be posted on Friday! Tomorrow, I should be ready to post a demonstration video of my latest creation, the Deep Grooves Mastering EW-74 Cutterhead Equivalent for use with SAL74 and VG74 amp racks. The head equivalent will be available for purchase soon!
DrCuts.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dimi751

Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:19 pm

Hi opcode

How's the blade runer project coming along any updates very exited about this

Dimi :o

opcode66

Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:30 pm

Yes. I have been working on feedback. As usual, all in a video as soon as possible.

Did you see I put a grayscale image into grooves? Image to Audio to Grooves that form a viisble grayscaled image. See beliw. That is my cat Tylers fuzy cute little face. Whiskers and all.

dimi751

Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:58 pm

Yes this is very nice, I can see why you want to charging for this soft wares it must of taken you numerous hours to complete

Also the imagery is very detailed here with the picture of the pussy cat

Nevertheless great work opcode keep on going I appreciate your works.

opcode66

Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:33 am

A couple things to mention. First, I have by no means abandoned this project. Nor have I given up. Nor have I hit a brick wall. I just have prioritized other work ahead of this. Some of it was a bit of contract work. Some of it was effort put into finishing my DGM EW-74 Cutterhead Equivalent, Dr. Cuts Vinyl Mastering VST and dgmGrooveGraphics. Now that those projects are all progressed relatively to completion, I'm able to pick up where I left off here.

I have been working on making parts for the next stages of development concurrently while working on the other things. I took the 3d design for my cutterhead and sliced out one of the transducer slots. I removed everything superfluous. I then shaped it into a rectangle. So, now, I have essentially one channel of my cutterhead with nothing else. I can slide a transducer card into this wired test housing and perform feedback tests. Once I get the feedback working the way I want within a test transducer in my test rig, I will promote the changes to the cutterhead design and build Bladerunner 1.C with Feedback.

I have been working on designing a novel way to implement feedback. The feedback coil will be shielded in the same way Nuclear Missile Silo computer gear is shielded from EM. I'm hoping that the shielding will reduce induction via a fluctuating EM field enough that when moved in the presence of the fixed pole magnet it will generate at least 9 db more of signal than it does when not moving (and only having EM induction). If it works, it will allow me to maintain my current transducer footprint (which is a quite compact design). I'm not going to divulge any more details regarding how I'm implementing feedback ever. So, this is your only clue as to what I'm attempting to perfect. Needless to say, I am rolling my own feedback coils. I'm not trying to modify a phono cartridge to achieve feedback.

After I finish up some more test cuts with imagery in them, I will finish the Bladerunner 1.B Video and post it. I am confident that I can have feedback accomplished by the end of March. So, hopefully, by end of April or May I will be offering these cutterheads with feedback and spare transducers for between 1K and 1.5K USD.

I guess the last thing to mention is that I also made some improvements to my coil winding rig. I've wound enough coils now that I've been wanting some tweaks to the process to make it faster and easier. I can now crank out drive coils. I made 3 in less than an hour this morning. All with flat enameled wire wound turn by turn. Each turn perfectly aligned. 3 layers. 4.7 Ohms. I could make a whole pile in a day.
IMG_6052.JPG
IMG_6047.JPG
IMG_6046.JPG
IMG_6068.JPG

EpicenterBryan

Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:13 am

Yay!
A Blade Runner Update!
opcode66 wrote:Needless to say, I am rolling my own feedback coils. I'm not trying to modify a phono cartridge to achieve feedback.
I'm confident you can roll something that works Todd. I'm not sure a phono cartridge will work either - but the Fat Lady hasn't sung that song yet.

I love your test transducer card idea. There is so much time spent trying things out. So much less time to make a change on a smaller section of the overall design. I'm sure you will accelerate your development. But by the end of March? Are you crazy?

Bryan

inspector77

Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:25 am

Todd never sleeps :D :D :D !!! great work!