DIY Feedback

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Fela Borbone

Re: DIY Feedback

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:21 pm

Hello again!
In my first attempt above, I tried to reproduce the FB of a profesional cutterhead, (except for the relative size of the coils and some other things).But now I go my own way, because une FB coil above and one bellow are not posible to tune for a wide frequencies,(at least at the size I'm using)Tuning it at 1khz (more or less the resonant frequency of this system) can only figth the resonance peak,but more range is desirable.They are exposed to different amounts of drive influence (as they are at different distance)so for cancelling they have diferent number of turns,and,different self inductance, this is why if they are tuned to cancel some frequencies its pahse changes and dont work to others.
So this time Itried a system where the coils are identical, situated at the same distance to the drive.The oppositte magnetic fields are more complex to create now, I cheated a bit with the magnetic simulator(It has no 3d capabilities only planar or axis-simetric)but but I found a solution.This time the outer ring closing the magnetic circuit improves the sound signal.
some photos:

Now cancellation is achieved along allmost all the spectrum, but some others ussues arise.Phase shifts are my next objetive.This second try was a little step forward.No recording tests yet,as I dont want to waste plastic on vain.Now Im working on the third.Im experimenting with lower indutances and the "bottle shape"that can be seen in other FB systems coil formers, after all magnetic field around coils looks like doughnuts.
Thanks for reading!

Fela Borbone

Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:39 am

oImage

Imagei,
I found some old pics in my computer for the last, not published version of this drive . a metal washer was aroun FB system, but is not shown. Also suspension was changed to a more " westrex" one

EpicenterBryan

Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:18 pm

Fela Borbone wrote:Also suspension was changed to a more " westrex" one
Very unique design there Fela! It looks like a rocket ship.
It's interesting that you incorporated the springs into the coil former. What material was that?

Also, I see you put a copper ring over the magnets. A Faraday shorting Ring? Nice...
I did some reading about that, and actually tried to plate copper on one of my drivers with disastrous results. But it did actually start plating the parts. I stopped right away when it was clear that the acid was eating the magnets.
shorting ring.jpg
Here is a great link for those interested:
http://www.hifiakademiet.dk/User_files/fedd9fa85cbf2dee95f4281933f6e920.pdf

So what were the results like with the double D coil setup and how did those springs work out?

Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Snug Music

Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:43 am

EpicenterBryan wrote:
Fela Borbone wrote:Also suspension was changed to a more " westrex" one
Very unique design there Fela! It looks like a rocket ship.
It's interesting that you incorporated the springs into the coil former. What material was that? .

Bryan

Hi Bryan, I think the material corresponds to how it is used in a Coke can. (Alu) I build this UFO also currently, it would also like to bring to fly ... smile :mrgreen:

Scotty :wink:
I'm still not a professional, but I learn pretty fast. especially with my eyes and ears!

Fela Borbone

Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:51 am

Yes, is aluminium fron a can..the lines on it is bended gives stiffness.
theres no coil fotmer, the coil was made first layer in a mould ,then the alluminium an springs. second layer and baked in temco varnish. Ligth a it can be!
Canclling of signals were fine...
But then somebody knock at my door...It was the postman with a Rekokut for me... 2 years ago!

Snug Music

Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:14 pm

Hi Fela, I had only embossed, since I now cut (sapphires!) When I cut this abrasive noise. How do I get that under control, so that I have a clear cut?
Can you help me please!
With embossing, my trax was loud and clear, but when i cut, i have that shit abrasive noise!!! :evil:
I do warm up the blank and have 20 Gramm wight by cuttiing my blanks! :roll:
So,..what can i do?? :cry:
Thx for answhere...
Best regard..
Scotty
By the way, I .. cutting polystyrene, pvc with a very smooth surface. This I treatable ago waxx and antistatic spray. I have no graver heating.! Is that the reason?
:wink:
I'm still not a professional, but I learn pretty fast. especially with my eyes and ears!

Fela Borbone

Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:14 pm

Well ,is hard tosay , may be angle, or worn stylus,I also have more experience and success embossing.

EpicenterBryan

Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:50 pm

Snug Music wrote:I think the material corresponds to how it is used in a Coke can.
Oh come on. After seeing your eyeballs in that other post, my bet is it's from a beer can.

Bryan

EpicenterBryan

Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:55 pm

Fela Borbone wrote:But then somebody knock at my door...It was the postman with a Rekokut for me... 2 years ago!
2 years is long a enough vacation Fela! Get back to work. But this time, don't use a wooden stick for the torque tube!

Bryan

Snug Music

Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:10 am

EpicenterBryan wrote:
Snug Music wrote:I think the material corresponds to how it is used in a Coke can.
Oh come on. After seeing your eyeballs in that other post, my bet is it's from a beer can.

Bryan
Okay, okay ... ... Bryan have won! It's a beer can! (Becks Beer?) And I have already so big eyes laughing ... :mrgreen:

Snug Music

Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:22 am

Fela Borbone wrote:Well ,is hard tosay , may be angle, or worn stylus,I also have more experience and success embossing.
Hey fella, I .. have tried different angles! I also believe that it is on the stylus (all best quality made in the UDSSR!) Laughing :mrgreen: ... I think I need a diamond! Made in USA!!! :wink:
Scotty

Snug Music

Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:00 am

so,..here it is the russian Saphire Stylus.
look at the face of this...i think it´s bad is this right? :shock:
Bryan or Fela what u think about this shit ? :roll:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fatrecco

Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:25 am

I got the same stylus:
Thu Oct 15 10-22-41.jpg

I already telled you this in a pm. I think the noise results because the missing of the the burnish fasets. The main cutting edges should have some kind of bevel.

opcode66

Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:33 pm

No one makes diamond cutting styli with burnishing facets that they sell. At least, not to date.

Vinylike, Steven's, and mine come without burnishing facets. They are very difficult and therefore costly to put into diamond. More costly than anyone here reading this board would be willing to spend for one cutting styli.

Noise comes from the cutting edges having imperfections. Either from manufacturing or from use or misuse. Noise can come from other sources as well. But, when speaking strictly of the stylus, it comes from imperfections to the cutting edges. Including chipping the tip of the stylus off.

Noise can also come from an incorrect angle at the tip. If less than 90 degrees not only will you have crosstalk from a stereo cutterhead, you will also have added noise from the groove walls rubbing against the playback stylus more than if they were cut with a 90 degree tip.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Fatrecco

Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:43 pm

Thanks for these information. I never see a diamond stylus. With my ebay-stylus I get terrible noise on polycarbonat. I grinded some stylus out of HSS and they made same noise like these russian Stylus.

opcode66

Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:14 pm

Here are some pictures of my 320 style diamonds. Note the highly polished facets.
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

Snug Music

Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:33 pm

Fatrecco wrote:Thanks for these information. I never see a diamond stylus. With my ebay-stylus I get terrible noise on polycarbonat. I grinded some stylus out of HSS and they made same noise like these russian Stylus.
reco .. exactly is the difference between cheap and quality! I'll get me now also a diamond p320 over myshank! with which you can then cut polycarbonate! Greeting scotty) :wink:

Snug Music

Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:59 pm

Thx opcode! :wink:

Snug Music

Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:30 pm

Yeah, today my diamond stylus p320 has come from myshank, was a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion opcode ... sounds absolutely awesome!
8)
Greetings Scotty :wink:

opcode66

Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:08 pm

At some point you may want to get one from me too for comparison.