Silicone molded record - it works!

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Angus McCarthy

Silicone molded record - it works!

Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:27 am

I haphazardly stumbled across this Youtube video showing a record made with the silicone mold and resin process. This is the first example I've heard of a finished copy. The results are impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zuSx0R23Go

Now the question remains, how much degradation to the mold takes place with each copy made?

Aussie0zborn

Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:48 am

Let's see.... the silcone is poured in so there is no stress, no compression, no abrasion to the mould as there is any compression moulding of vinyyl records. Unless the silicone eats through the vinyl or other materials it comes into contact with, I would say there would be no deterioration. You might need to try it and let us know.

piaptk

Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:35 am

I've tried that process EXTENSIVELY and never had successs. It may because there is so much moisture in the air up in the PAcific NW, but it always bubbles up really bad as it is setting. But, the fidelity is good if you can miss the bubbles.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com