cutting of old acetate stock

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

emidisc

cutting of old acetate stock

Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:16 am

Hello trolls,
I am in contact with someone who as a quantity of 12" acetates
this is old stock still boxed but I would guess 20+ years old
I understand they become hard over time - but I would have thought
they could be still used for testing etc, obviously not pro mastering use,
also any idea of cost i should pay?
any thoughts trolls!
EmiDisc

cymbalism

Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:43 am

It pretty much depends on how they were stored. I've purchased old stock that was great and some that were unuseable. Also the brand seems to help too, I always look for audiodisc, presto, sound craft or transco. I've had no luck on Wilcox-gay, silvertone or other blanks like that which are housed in books. They just never cut well for me.

I'd say check em out, if they are sealed chances are they would he useable minus the top and bottom couple as those ways seem to get hit the worst on some that I've picked up. If they are opened, check for the oil on the surfaces of the lacquers, this kept them from drying out and almost always cut perfectly at least for me. I just bought 60 blank 10"s from a guy for $120 for the lot and only the top couple were bad as they were opened, but the others are cutting great once you gently clean the oil off the surface.

Hope that helps! If he has a lot for sale let me know, I'd take some
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

subkontrabob

Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:32 am

I've cut dubplates from 55 year old 12" MSS lacquers with very good results. These were stored in cardboard boxes 10 each. There were also several metal boxes with Pyral 14" masters, with which I did two succesful test cuts. With the MSS lacquers I had a similar experience as cymbalism - the discs were stuck together on the edges. The outermost ones being unusable, but the rest in mint condition (they hadn't even "sweated"!).

How are the lacquers that you've been offered boxed? Sealed in metal boxes? Or cardboard?

If the owner agrees, you could open the package, and take a sample for visual inspection, and if it looks promising, do a test cut.

It may or may not work, you can't be sure unless you do a test cut.

I believe mossboss has posted something on old lacquers before, specifically about "re-moisturizing" dried out product. ;)

Would be interesting to find out if it's possible to run these old lacquers through the galvanic process.........

mossboss

Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:16 am

No reason that galvanics should have any issues on that at all
The cleaning process takes all of the residues away so no issue
A 50 year old or more Pyral master I think,we cut and plated was fine until we went to strip the negative off the lacquer
The lacquer part got stripped of its aluminium backing and it was stuck on the negative in 1000 pieces
Whoa what to do! well stuck it in a shallow bath with acetone and guess what it all dissolved nicely
Than a squirt of petrol and a squirt of steam and whakco a perfect negative
The records also sounded real good as well
May have been good luck rather than good management
It was a test to see if old lacquers could be used
In my view there is no issue at all with old ones
If it is not scratched badly or enough so as to spoil the look of the resulting records, if it cuts clean, without any chips flying off the cut groove, than it should be fine
Cheers
Chris

Phinster

Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:39 pm

Found a sealed box of old 14 in. audiodiscs from the 80's when Capitol made them (black packaging) After airing them out, apart from being slightly abrasive they cut and processed fine.

Go figure!

emidisc

old stock

Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:48 pm

Gents,
thanks for the info sounds like its worth taking a risk with them,
I believe there are approx 10 boxes all EMI blanks all 12" thats the details I have at present have made an offer and await a response

thanks again
EmiDisc

emidisc

cutting on old acetates

Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:30 am

Just received the first 3 boxes of old acetates
as previously posted they are 12" all fully sealed within plastic
then boxed,
they have been manufactured by MSS in the UK
I think they could be over 50 years old!!
appearance wise they are incredible with only slight
mold on a few labels I plan to cut a few tonite.

subkontrabob

Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:22 pm

Lucky you!!!! :D

d1rk

awesome MOSSY

Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:07 pm

SO what you really mean is that AUSTRALIAN STEAM is magical at fixing things like 1000 pieces stuck to the disc? hOW mUCH FOR A FEW TONS of that Downunder steam Mate?

:D

mossboss

Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:45 pm

Hey man
You can have Andy B Best German Steam any time
We want to keep ours exclusive so no deal Sorry
Seriously
It is standard practice to do the steps above on a negative plate before you make a positive or even use the negative as a stamper to press records from
You cannot see bits of lacquer stuck in the metal work when you separate the negative form the lacquer
So a wash with benzine or petrol or Gas than a wash with acetone than a wash with warm water and a soap mixture with a wetting agent so as not to stain it than a squirt of steam is common practice
The squirt of steam is to heat up the metal work so as to speed up the drying off Or else the likely hood of a stained stamper is quite high
In a pro outfit its all set up there and no big deal
The whole process is a 10 minute or less excersise
It may sound a long process and it would be if you are not setup for it of course
Regardless No Aussie steam available here guys
Is to exclusive
German steam from Andy B is available only for the asking
Cheers
Chris