another diy cutter

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

teas

another diy cutter

Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:09 am

Found those on youtube. Unfortunately hes talking polish, but he has quite good results on cutting cd´s.

lathe at work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5ASLGUgZww

recording of the diy lathe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLgIlfr5G-k

stylus and grooves:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HapnX48HQXI

explenation in polish:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew7ZEaWUgg0
would be nice to have a translation...

cheers

cymbalism

Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:52 pm

Very cool.

I want to see his stereo head and how he made it. I really need to get some stereo action going with my cuts.
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

teas

Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:12 pm

Looks like he has used different cutterheads, in the first video its piezo based as far as i can see. Apart from that a lot of common parts and some real sensitivity.

d

Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:28 pm

Yea, as recording plays on youtube sounds very nice. But somethings is quite interesting..... Really how he got these results?

Looking at stylus - this is not a nice tip for cutting - thats for shure. Haven't seen chip going off, so this is embossing. An quite nice thou. I thing this is quite the same as stylus backwards. Facets are quite bad for this kind of noise level - which is low.

He used piezo ceramic and on other video wide range speakers. We do not know what head was best for it.

Lathe mechanical part - very lofi -does it really work so well?

Done a lot of experimentation, did some lofi lathes, results were very bad with linearity of tracks. Head arm is very long and support are too bad to be stable.

Thing is - we need to invite him here!

What do you think?

Jccc

Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:05 am

cymbalism wrote:Very cool.

I want to see his stereo head and how he made it. I really need to get some stereo action going with my cuts.
Me too! There has to be a schematic or a list of parts floating on the internet somewhere

teas

Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:28 am

Thing is - we need to invite him here!
absolutely, hope he is checking by someday...

I have just decided to give a diy lathe a try and have ordered some parts already, since i have some eperiences in building audio devices.
All the mechanical aspects are a great challenge. Another challenge is to keep the cost student friendly, when it comes to cutterheads.

d

Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:55 am

i will try in a day to send him a message to join us here. this is the only place to meet anx discuss.

will let yoU all know

emidisc

stereo diy cutter

Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:06 pm

until a couple days ago my stereo diy cutter head had been cutting really well! then too much top end and burned one of the voice coils!!**%%||
thats the problem using domestic tweeters you basically fry the fragile
bobbin so i want to replace them with more heavy duty voice coils - preferably alloy bobbins that can be rewound if needed, the small drivers are not designed to be repaired.
anybody experience of more suitable voice coils that are available.............until then back to the BSR mono 1950's cutter head
P.S. Seasons greetings to all Lathe trolls
Emidisc(mono)

d

Re: stereo diy cutter

Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:09 am

emidisc wrote:until a couple days ago my stereo diy cutter head had been cutting really well! then too much top end and burned one of the voice coils!!**%%||
bobbin so i want to replace them with more heavy duty voice coils - preferably alloy bobbins that can be rewound if needed, the small drivers are not designed to be repaired.
anybody experience of more suitable voice coils that are available.............until then back to the BSR mono 1950's cutter head
Emidisc(mono)
Tweeters are made without repair option ;)

But they should be enough for cutter without feedback. Souri uses tweeters and they are really usable. Need to have stylus support as light as possible. You need to know the maximum you can get from it and use it. I burned maybe 4 pairs of tweeters. Now stopped and trying to build a better support.

teas

Re: stereo diy cutter

Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:07 pm

emidisc wrote:until a couple days ago my stereo diy cutter head had been cutting really well! then too much top end and burned one of the voice coils!!**%%||
Emidisc(mono)
Found this video about speakers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN0tmyyC0ak
think its the same principle with tweeters. Maybe its possible to rewound the coils with a thicker wire, less windings and drive them with more power.

Are you using the cone or only the spider inside the speaker?