Making a dampner for a Preston 6N overhead

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

JayDC

Making a dampner for a Preston 6N overhead

Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:27 pm

When I got my presto 6n, it had no dampner, and i want to try to make one, since i have looked for years, and never found the part.

Does anyone have one they can disassemble, and show me how its made, or does anyone have an exploded drawing of one. Any information in this regard would be extremely helpful.

I'm going to attempt to build my presto into a cabinet and drive the overhead with its own motor. Then find a heavy duty motor to convert the turntable into direct drive.

markrob

Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:50 pm

Hi,

I made a replacement for my damper cup using the old one as a guide. I was able to keep the old innerds. Its just two brass washers .875" in dia .068" thick. They are are spaced about 1/4" apart with a 1/4" OD spacer on an 1/8" shaft about 3" long. The cup is 1" ID 1.1" OD and is about 1.5" long. A 6-32 screw is theaded into the botom of the can and there is a top cap with a hole to allow the 1/8" shaft to pass. Finally, there is a 6-32 screw threaded into the bottom of the cup and a knurled nut that is used to attach it to the head assembly. I know that sounds like a mouthful, but if you PM me with your email, I'll shoot a few picts and send them your way. If you really get hung up, you could stop by and have a look at mine (I see you are in the Philly area).

Mark

aaron

Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:53 pm

I'd be interested to see pics as well.

Thanks!

JayDC

Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:26 pm

lol.. how much for u to make me one.. ;) would love to swing through sometime, i'm staying with family for now, and i'm thinking of starting to rebuild my lathe so i can start cutting again. It' been in storage for over a year.

Saw your post with your homemade record press.. totally awesome, sign me up when your ready to sell them..

markrob

Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:45 pm