Replacing Vestax VRX 2000 Cutterhead

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

studiorp

Replacing Vestax VRX 2000 Cutterhead

Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:12 pm

Hello, is it possible to replace the originale cutter head of Vestax VRX 2000 with another stereo cutterhead ?

In this way perhaps is possible improve the frequency response of machine, or it depends from the cutter amp integrated in the lathe ?

Thanks .

opcode66

Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:21 pm

FYI, Frequency response is an attribute of the cutterhead and not the amp rack. You can use the same amp with mulitiple heads and get totally different results.

I doubt that Vinylium will rebuild your Vestax head but I guess it's worth asking. To get better frequency response would require totally redesigning the head. And, I don't think anyone could afford to do that. I wonder if you could mount a Vinylium head on your VRX?
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

studiorp

Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:31 pm

First of all I havent' the Vestax machine.
My question was only an idea, a curiosity; all born from this consideration : why a Vestax vinyl recorder arrive max . to 12500 Khz, while Vinylium and Souri recorder can arrive about to 18-20000 Hz ?
Only this is my question.
Thanks to all.

opcode66

Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:59 pm

The design of the head dictates the frequency response. An inferior cutterhead is not capable of producing higher frequencies.

That by itself is enough to tell you what the problem is. The cutterhead can't move it's piston that the stylus connects to in and out fast enough to produce a groove that represents a frequency past 12.5Khz. This is likely due to the mechanical and electromagnet design and the materials used. Possibly they capped it at 12.5 becuase trying to drive the piston faster would burn out their electromagnetic coils.

The Vestax was a poorly designed machine. That is why no one really uses them.

Is that an acceptable answer for you?
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

studiorp

Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:17 pm

Yes, this is an acceptable answer, thanks.