which pro cutting head to copy ??

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

renegadescot

which pro cutting head to copy ??

Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:52 am

hello im Russell , im new here , and am looking to make my own diy record lathe .

Fortunaly i have a decent workshop , and also i know an electronics expert who can make anything bar alien technology .. and im wondering which cutting head should i base my cutting head on ? Id need schematics too .

Im happy to buy a pro stylus , but i think making a good DIY head is a better option as then i can tailor it to my system .

Ive currently built an aluminium frame that has runners with a platform for the turntable to sit on and travel under the stationary head/stylus as the groove is cut . I have an amp , mixer , tube pre-amp .... should i make a solid lathe with decent cutting head and stylus i think it must be possible to make decent dubplates ... what do you think ?? please input anything useful

( im a longterm vinyl using dj and understand i need a solid platter with minimum flow/flutter , and the cutting head will have a spring possibly so that it isnt chizelling to rigidgly )

d

Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:15 pm

Hmm maybe you would not get a full schematics of a pro cutter. Well I haven't found one yet.

First I think You have to buy one and understand how things works and then you could try to clone one ;)

I have tried some things. But nothing good to use and have decent results. Needs a lot of time and money. And I thing you should try cutting with a good cutter and then start cloning.

Every cutting stylus is a cutting stylus. I think there is no Pro or for Beginners. All of them can brake very easy and they are not very cost friendly. So be careful.

Most of info you will get here on the forum. Search the net for pictures of a cutterheads. Collect them all and see how some of them made. Of course you will not get pictures of most head insides and what materials are used but it would be a start...

Good to see growing community and welcome!

maniman

Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:50 pm

https://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?t=1947&highlight=caruso&mforum=lathetrolls

Wait about the Caruso...the builder intention is offer a good working product in a very very small budget basis , here the people no talks about other thing , is the rage , the last word.

regards
Very Busy days , some cutting works at least , soon online again

We must promote the use and abuse of vinyl records.

renegadescot

Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:07 am

thanks for the input there guys .

I wil continue to research and develop this project , my electronics expert has done great work for the "Ministry of defence" and im sure he could make a cutting head so long as he knows the components to fit .

and this : http://www.vinylrecorder.com/order.html

on that page there are parts for the Vinylrecorder that can be bought seperatly , there are a few essentials and cutting stylus are only around £100 .. which is fine by me .

As im a dj , im developing this mainly for djs who wil use the technics 1210 turntable in their setup . I hope someone make a kit soon so i dont have to , but if not then i have no option but to make my own setup .

Thanks for the input once again . Russ

maniman

Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:32 am

Really not complex , but isn't a trivial issue (better say , thousand of little non trivial issues).

Luck
Very Busy days , some cutting works at least , soon online again

We must promote the use and abuse of vinyl records.