leadout and locked groove question

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

d

leadout and locked groove question

Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:44 am

Hey

I am interested in how the lead-out and locked groove is made.

I mean on manual lathes like presto 6n or VR... lead-out is done by spinning pitch wheel by hand. then stopping it and with other hand lifting the head when it makes locked groove? is it right?

would appreciate for any information about this...

petermontg

Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:15 am

yes. on 6n you lift engage screw on top of cutterhead carriage for locked groove.

there was a discussion somewhere on the forum about locked grooves before might be worth a search.
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271
peter(at)petermontgomerymastering.com

Stereo cutter head wanted. Send email or smoke signals.

d

Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:20 am

hey

thanks for reply. I remembered that post about locked grooves. thanks on reminding me. Sorry to make a duplicate post.

subkontrabob

Re: leadout and locked groove question

Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:34 pm

d wrote:Hey
I mean on manual lathes like presto 6n or VR... lead-out is done by spinning pitch wheel by hand. then stopping it and with other hand lifting the head when it makes locked groove? is it right?

would appreciate for any information about this...
yep, on the AM31 I've worked on it works exactly like that (at least it's how I do it). Really kind of hit and miss. I still managed to screw up a leadout groove in the last cutting session although I thought I had learned how to do it. Requires full attention every time.........

If in doubt, just wait a tiny bit longer before lifting the head to make sure the groove gets locked. I didn't (that one time)....... :evil:

subkontrabob

Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:03 am

forgot to mention that the AM31 has a stopper screw. There is a small lever, that automatically disengages the lead screw when it hits the stopper.

So you basically wait until the program material is finished, then crank until the stopper does it's business, wait for one revolution, and lift the head. 8)

d

Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:29 pm

yep. just did this but electronically.

when it reaches the end motor stops and i lift the head after 1 revolution but i think i will do some sort of lifter in the future heh

thanks
_______