how-to emboss

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

piaptk

Re: how-to emboss

Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:45 pm

Turtle wax is WAY too messy. I use lighter fluid and it works great. cleans the protective coating adhesive off and seems to soften the plastic temporarily. It's a 3d Printer trick that Farmer John brought to record cutting, and it's amazing.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

discosdecorte

Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:42 pm

piaptk wrote:Tungsten needles are cones, so there is no "backwards"... they can be used on any face, and then once that face is used up, you can usually turn them and get a clean face and get some more cuts. they can be turned a few times. The tungsten that Farmer John (thefarmerjohn//at//gmail//dot//com) is making nowadays have been greatly improved and are the best out there. He doesn't sell on ebay, though, only thru email.

Sapphire Embossing Cones (I sell through http://www.recordlatheparts.com) are more expensive, but have a lot more clarity in the high end.

I would recommend using Farmer Johns tungstens while you are getting to know your machine... then once you have, upgrade to sapphire embossing cones.

(The "backwards sapphire" trick from years ago was for sapphire cutting styli from Apollo, which are way more expensive than sapphire embossing styli, and in my experience much harder to dial in properly).
Thanks for the info! :D
πŸ„³πŸ„ΈπŸ…‚πŸ„²πŸ„ΎπŸ…‚ πŸ„³πŸ„΄ πŸ„²πŸ„ΎπŸ…πŸ…ƒπŸ„΄
www.instagram.com/decortediscos

Fela Borbone

Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:58 pm

I used a Policarbonate with Ultra Violet protection that was noisy. Solved it with some vaseline disolved in the ligther fluid.Now, I use it allways, but, of too much vaseline, I have to clean the record with hot eater and soap

Fela Borbone

Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:59 pm

I mean hot water and soap, sorry

discosdecorte

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:20 am

Fela Borbone wrote:I used a Policarbonate with Ultra Violet protection that was noisy. Solved it with some vaseline disolved in the ligther fluid.Now, I use it allways, but, of too much vaseline, I have to clean the record with hot eater and soap
Thanks for the info, Fela! :D

discosdecorte

Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:24 pm

piaptk wrote:Tungsten needles are cones, so there is no "backwards"... they can be used on any face, and then once that face is used up, you can usually turn them and get a clean face and get some more cuts. they can be turned a few times. The tungsten that Farmer John (thefarmerjohn//at//gmail//dot//com) is making nowadays have been greatly improved and are the best out there. He doesn't sell on ebay, though, only thru email.

Sapphire Embossing Cones (I sell through http://www.recordlatheparts.com) are more expensive, but have a lot more clarity in the high end.

I would recommend using Farmer Johns tungstens while you are getting to know your machine... then once you have, upgrade to sapphire embossing cones.

(The "backwards sapphire" trick from years ago was for sapphire cutting styli from Apollo, which are way more expensive than sapphire embossing styli, and in my experience much harder to dial in properly).
Hi!

I wrote Farmer John four days ago but no answer so far :cry:

piaptk

Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:50 pm

I texted him... he will check his spam folder
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

discosdecorte

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:15 am

piaptk wrote:I texted him... he will check his spam folder
Ok... no offense taken :D

Thanks, that's very kind of you.

Regards,