has any 1 tried this method or is it a myth that it works

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

thevinyllover

has any 1 tried this method or is it a myth that it works

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:39 am

i dont know if this works but it be a very cheap way to copy if it did .. the rubber silcone mould that i have been looking into is a silcone called polycraft rtv grade , its is 1 that picks up details very well c.340/ca45 is another grade that keeps its shape for a about 250 or moulds its designed for food and it had me thinking so i googled.... i think the problems that i will come up against is when i fit the B side to the un set plastic and getting it level and square and not too thick to fit the A side the plastic i am going to attempt do it with is acitone and plastic cuttlery mixture

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/backup-vinyl-records-by-casting-29-07-2010/

and the other version i read some were mcdonalds or burgerking did this in the 70s in america with kids meals for a bit of fun

ere the link
http://inhabitat.com/edible-chocolate-records-actually-play-music-probably-taste-even-better/ looks like fun to me
THEVINYLLOVER

piaptk

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:30 am

I made a chocolate record using a stamper. Didn't have a vibrating table so I couldn't get all the air bubbles out, but the part that didn't have bubbles played and actually sounded pretty good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xpJocEhpeA

I've done the silicone mold thing several times but was never able to get the air bubbles out of that either. I think it's better for one sided records, I think it woul dbe pretty tough to do them two sided.

Self-lather

Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:21 pm

There are several good threads on the forum about this. In short, yes, its possible, but bubbles creating surface noise are always an issue.

I've played around with compression and vibration to try to limit the surface noise, but no luck!

I'm still experimenting though, as this seems like such an awesome and doable idea.

-Thomas

thevinyllover

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:35 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyQmEG9qmfw

this guy seems to get the bubbles out using a vacum de-gasing process around 2.58 mins into the video iam thinking what if I used caned air to break up the bubbles instead because i really wouldnt know how to de gas at home... then poured it from a high of about roughly 2.5 feet .... some of there resins looks awesome too the black polished finnsh 1 stands out to me ... but i bet there costy $$$ company for them products .....

i watch your chocolate record video awesome buddy i take my hat off to you for giving it a bash
THEVINYLLOVER

ArchaicRecords

Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:06 pm

Your chocolate record from a stamper is really cool.

Would it be possible to create a porcelain mold, from a metal mother? Whereby the porcelain mold would be a negative, like a stamper, into which you could pour chocolate, to make a chocolate record. Then again, would porcelain be able to support grooves (or hills as would be the case)?

check this out - what material is his mold made from?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVM18iJTMZs
archaicrecords.com

Aussie0zborn

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:14 am

It's white so maybe its made from plaster?

Why would you need porcelain when you can use a regular nickel stamper that doesn't break when dropped?

ArchaicRecords

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:22 pm

This may be a good or a bad idea, but.... A porcelain or rubber silicone mold would enable anyone to make multiple chocolate records, even non-lathe-trollers. It would be possible to sell such molds with instructions on how to pour the chocolate for making records. There's also the risk of giving away secrets though, as the German in the video above wants to only sell the end product and not the molds.
Also there is the problem of ensuring that the chocolate is edible enough. What's the chance that some of the nickel in a regular stamper would contaminate the chocolate? Is it edible enough? Or is it that since it's such a rare novelty and it's only on extremely rare ocassions that one would come across a chocolate record, so any trace amounts of nickel would be negligible?
archaicrecords.com