Follow my progress.

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Self-lather

Follow my progress.

Sat May 12, 2012 4:45 pm

Ive started a new blog to document the process of creating my Emory Cook press. Here's the link if you'd like to check it out:

http://www.experimentalrecordlab.com/

Not much here yet, but more to come soon.

-Thomas

fraggle

Sun May 13, 2012 9:32 am

cool man.
just an idea i know its an experiment but i guess if you would find a press with at least two or better 4 shafts the result would be much better i guess. because of the force being nit just in the center if you know what i mean. good luck mate

Angus McCarthy

Sun May 13, 2012 11:40 am

You know I was wondering, are there any surviving microfusion presses that we know of, possibly in the Caribbean somewhere?

Self-lather

Sun May 13, 2012 3:27 pm

fraggle wrote:cool man.
just an idea i know its an experiment but i guess if you would find a press with at least two or better 4 shafts the result would be much better i guess. because of the force being nit just in the center if you know what i mean. good luck mate
Definitely. I'll be experimenting with getting the pressure evenly distributed. I have a couple ideas for this, but not sure how I'm going to do it yet.

-Thomas

Self-lather

Sun May 13, 2012 3:29 pm

Angus McCarthy wrote:You know I was wondering, are there any surviving microfusion presses that we know of, possibly in the Caribbean somewhere?
I've searched the Internet in hopes of finding one, but I've never been able to come up with any still in operation or not. I know all his stuff was donated to the Smithsonian at one point, but the collection is mostly his recordings, and none of his equipment is listed.

It'd be an awesome restoration project if we could find one.

-Thomas

SUNBEARS

Re: Follow my progress.

Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:42 pm

I might be heading down this road..

Hey @Self-Lather.. any revelations?

Thanks!

Cheers,
J
Berlin is a Mastering Engineer and Multidisciplinary Artist based at The Loft Studio, Los Angeles, CA

ROLANDJAYS

Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:13 am

a year ago I tried melting some vinyl to press a blank record, just to see if I could do it.
I had a hard time controlling the temp, too hot and vinyl gets bubbly and then dry.
and then I didn't cool it quick enough. so it stuck to my surface.
it emits a lot of gasses too.

rsimms3

Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:14 pm

I asked about recent experiences in Mark's thread without a response. Maybe folks will share some in this thread instead. I've read the patent and a few articles on the process, really interesting stuff. Spoke with my father who is mechanically inclined and our discussion lead to concerns about ability to provide even pressure on the plates holding the stampers. I believe the Cook press used either guides or four different cylinders to apply pressure on the four corners holding the plate where Mark was using a single hydraulic jack.

I believe this is a picture of the Cook press, it looks like it has springs on the corners:

Self-lather

Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:15 pm

I'm still doing lots of experimenting with it, but its been on hold for a few months. I've got a solid 4 column press and some heated platens I fabricated. I've made a bunch of stuff, detroyed a lot of stamps, and am still slowly getting there.

You can see some of the stuff that was featured in an art show last year in Atlanta:

ROLANDJAYS

Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:18 am

I made these book molds a while ago .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

socialroots

Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:03 am

impressive work you do ,true artist fe sure!

Self-lather

Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:53 pm

ROLANDJAYS wrote:I made these book molds a while ago .
Those looks rad. How have they tested out? Are they heated using separate platens like the Emory Cook press, or is it more like a traditional press using a water pump?

This is getting me hyped on Emory Cook again, I really need to get back on this project...

-Thomas