My DIY Cutter (with tweeters) incl. photo & sound

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

diy_cutter

My DIY Cutter (with tweeters) incl. photo & sound

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:31 pm

Good day.

About 6 months ago I started (in spare time) to build my first cutter. Naturally, I read a lot, watched a video on youtube. And then I found and this wonderful forum. A lot of information I have gathered from reports and websites of Markrob and Flozki. You two are my guru :-).

Excuse me, but all photos will be later (I forgot the camera in the studio).

The first of my cutters was based on an early concept, similar to the cutter from pentlandsound. Ie the player in the role of the engine shifted relative to the cutting head, which was still attached (but having the ability to adjust the height.) I did not like the results. First, because of irregularities (fluctuations) of the plate can not be adjusted by pressing as at some point or blade flew over the surface, or "bury" in the record. Moving the player manually. Cutter - a knife from the plotter.

First of all, I upgraded suspension system head. Primitive "lift" was constructed from the hinge, and then supplemented with spring suspension and the weighting system for pressure adjustment tool.

Experiments with mono sound never appealed to me and I immediately went over to the stereo. The first version of the head was assembled from aluminum and full range speakers from the old Panasonic stereo system. The first failure was due to too much traffic cone these speakers. Despite this, I was able to make some lo-fi recording with these speakers.

Using the available information (from lathetrolls) on the construction of the head from Souri (vinylrecorder), I decided to experiment with the tweeters.

My hands were old Soviet (Russian) tweeters - Radiotechnika 6GDV-1-16. Power - 6 watts, impendance - 16 ohms. I disassembled it, removed the diffuser and pasted paper cones. Heating plate with a table lamp 100 watts. Bingo! I got the first decent sound. Take advice Markrob I built correction filter with Har-Bal. Already in the course of the experiments found that one of the speakers is faulty. But it had begun. I wanted to do a quick head so the case gathered from MDF :-).

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

More resolution - http://www.flickr.com/photos/90721137@N05/

A few days ago, I disassembled my first cutter design and build a new overhead, where the movement is undertaken by an electric motor, and the speed (and changes in LPI) was ruled by the regulated power supply. Also replaced the old player Pioneer Pl-L1000 on Stanton TT200. Significantly improved results as I was able to more precisely control the pressing force and movement of the head.

The results of digital recordings are posted on soundcloud:

http://soundcloud.com/diy_cutter

P.S.: Recently I had a parcel with old overhead with mono-head from RCA, as well as a NOS sapphire cutter :-).

I will be glad to advice and answer any questions.

diy_cutter

Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:02 am

Today began construction of the head of the third version. And some more photos... Goto Flickr for Hires photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90721137@N05/

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

markrob

Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:12 am

Hi,

Nice job. Looks like you got some impressive results. Keep us informed of your next revision. Glad I was able to be of some help to you.

Mark

diy_cutter

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:18 am

markrob wrote:Nice job. Looks like you got some impressive results. Keep us informed of your next revision. Glad I was able to be of some help to you.
Thanks Mark for your answer.

Unfortunately, the cutting head 3 version was unsuccessful at my stupidity. The speakers that I picked were not the 5 watts of power, 0.5 watts ((((! Therefore, I could not get a normal (and loud) sound. Maximum frequency barely reached 2.5 kHz.

Results of the sound is not present, as useful signal is very little :-).
Last edited by diy_cutter on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chaosbc

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:49 pm

This is really great job.

diy_cutter

Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:43 am

chaosbc wrote:This is really great job.
Thank you for rating my job.

Yesterday I brought the new tweeters. Made in???? (China). Price - 22 Euro each.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Power - 60W, 8 Ohm, 1.5-20 kHz, weight about 1 kg each. The cutting head will very heavy. The use of balances should compensate weight and reduce the overhead possible resonances.

I also found the contacts of my old friend - the jeweler. He agreed to make (for drawings) diamond cutters. Interesting ... )))

The construction of the new head - tomorrow. Naturally, with a photo report.

markrob

Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:34 am

Hi,

I'll be interested to see how this works out for you. Bigger is not always better. You have more power handling now, but at the expense of more moving mass I would think. The question is if the increased power handling provides the ability to cut at a higher level given the extra mass.

Since F=ma twice the mass requires twice the force to acheive the same acceleration. In the head force is proportional to drive current and power dissapation is proprtional to current squared. So if the mass doubles, you'll need 4 times the power to get the same acceleration.

Anything you can do to modify the driver to reduce the overall mass, will be a big help here.

Mark

chaosbc

Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:39 am

diy_cutter, can I request for a photo with the detail of your spring suspension ? actually my record lathe looks quite alike with your (same gurus ;-) )so I assume it may help me with this specific detail. Many thanks in advance...and can't wait to see about your new cutting head.

diy_cutter

Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:47 am

Hi, Mark.
Thanks for the quick comment.
markrob wrote:I'll be interested to see how this works out for you. Bigger is not always better. You have more power handling now, but at the expense of more moving mass I would think. The question is if the increased power handling provides the ability to cut at a higher level given the extra mass.
I agree with you about the weight. And initially thought to use piezo tweeters (lower weight), and even bought a couple of car tweeters. But to understand realized that they will not able to move the cutter and quickly "died". If my experiments with these 60W-tweeters will work out is not, then I will experiment with powerful piezo, and then the classic tweeters (20-30W). And then ... With the same fullrange speakers, as well as in your cutterhead rev2 ))).
markrob wrote:Since F=ma twice the mass requires twice the force to acheive the same acceleration. In the head force is proportional to drive current and power dissapation is proprtional to current squared. So if the mass doubles, you'll need 4 times the power to get the same acceleration.
I understand. And I have some very powerful amplifiers for this.

P.S.: Maybe about the weight of speakers I got excited ... But each magnet weighs 410 grams ))).

Eugene.

diy_cutter

Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:32 am

chaosbc wrote:diy_cutter, can I request for a photo with the detail of your spring suspension ? actually my record lathe looks quite alike with your (same gurus ;-) )so I assume it may help me with this specific detail. Many thanks in advance...and can't wait to see about your new cutting head.
Unfortunately, I disassembled my first overhead which used a spring suspension. Now I use the principle of balance (as in your project), ie compensating weight cutting head loads from the back. But because of the length of the "shoulder" is a "wobble" that negatively affect the stability of the head movement. I have an idea how to do it right, but so far all my experiences I spend with plywood and MDF. When I find the right solution, we'll start to do metal.

Visit the markrob site - there's a lot of valuable information.

I apologize for my English.

chaosbc

Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:54 pm

Thanks a lot for the clarification and for these useful information. I will check your progress.

diy_cutter

Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:32 pm

Today, as it was planned to start work on a new cutting head. Version 4))).

ImageImage

Initially to accelerate prototyping using 6mm laminate (residues home renovation). If all goes well, I will do it right out of metal. Parallel test new tweeters ... Because they are 8 ohm impedance, the "swing" easier low-power 6-watt Russian tweeters (16 ohm). Overload is very difficult, even for 100Vatt amp per channel.

At this time, decided to build a prototype with an instant glue. As always at the wrong time glue ended (((. Was decided to continue tomorrow))).

ImageImage

To be continued ...

diy_cutter

Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:47 am

Temporary waiver experiments. Lying at home with a cold (((.

diy_cutter

Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:30 pm

I apologize for the delay. Experiments continue ...

ImageImageImage

Full Pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/90721137@N05/

Assembled cutting head 4 version. In the photo the initial version. Today was a little bit modified. Tests showed good potential, but the mechanism of movement was severely shaken, which has brought a lot of distortion in the sound. Added test digitizing records before cutting only processed in Audacity (reduced power-12db, inverse RIAA + compressor). Got overloaded (more volume on amplifer ), but for test is normal. With filters Har-Bal experiments not set. Will be later.

https://soundcloud.com/diy_cutter/test-record-new-cutterhead-ver
https://soundcloud.com/diy_cutter/sys-biy-new-cutterhead-ver-4

ImageImage :roll: :roll: :roll: 8)

chaosbc

Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:52 am

There is a lot of potential with this new head.
My lathe is close to be completed, just awaiting to receive a missing speaker for the head.
BTW, Have you tried to heat the disc so far ? They say it sounds better this way.
Where did you find you find your sapphire stylus ? Transco ? Ebay ? (sorry, I think I have 10000 questions :lol: )

diy_cutter

Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:03 pm

chaosbc wrote:There is a lot of potential with this new head.
I also feel the potential )))...
chaosbc wrote:My lathe is close to be completed, just awaiting to receive a missing speaker for the head.
Waiting for your results! I think they all work!
chaosbc wrote:BTW, Have you tried to heat the disc so far ? They say it sounds better this way.
Tried to heat, but with the previous head. Of course, the noise level is reduced. With a new head made ​​a few tests, but realized that you need to modify overhead. By the way, I used a plastic polish (for auto).
chaosbc wrote:Where did you find you find your sapphire stylus ? Transco ? Ebay ? (sorry, I think I have 10000 questions :lol: )
By the way, with a sapphire stylus does not have quality recording until ... A lot of noise. He is very sharp and "digs" in the record. My main tool - ruby. It has a more "stupid" sharpening.
Sapphire bought on ebay for $ 50 with shipping. A ruby cutter accidentally bought at a flea market for 4 euro. The seller did not even know what sells . 8)

And the questions ... Do not hesitate to ask!

PS.: By the way, I partially disassemble my overhead and design a new one with more accurate estimates and the full metal. Plan to continue through the week.

Merry Christmas to All!

markrob

Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:36 pm

Hi,

You seem to be getting very nice results. Nice job with the construction. Looks very promising.

Did you see my post to chaosbc about the proper speaker wiring? This will make a big difference if you have them wired incorrectly.

Mark

chaosbc

Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:24 am

All right...so let's start with my endless questions/remarks :lol: :
on which media did you get your results ?
Since my lathe is completed, I tried on CD-R with bad to -not that bad- result. I tried plastic sheet (bad results).
Ok I know Lexan is the way but before spending lot of bucks ruining Lexan, I wanted to learn with other media
I also noticed the more I tilted the head top on rear the least worst it was.
One more thing, I was surprised because the level is kind of weak (which is weird because the volume was high). My lathe was plugged in the headphone socket of my amp, I don't know if it was a problem because the sound coming out of my lathe head was loud :cry:

tragwag

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:30 pm

I use makrolon/lexan for embossing. it really does work well.
with a good depth setting, it is consistent. That is what I find most important when using these unconventional cutting methods.

maybe the depth of your cut has to do with the loudness question?
also I would be aware of the frequency response of your amp, and cutter head. Is there I-RIAA involved?

if you'd like, I could supply you with some lexan/makrolon blanks.
I go through a couple hundred a month, I'm sure I could spare some if you want to try.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

chaosbc

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:50 pm

I confirm that I used I-RIAA for my every tests. nonetheless, no HarBal filter so far. I'll try to play with depth to find a proper balance...
That is very nice from you for makrolon, but I am afraid sending it from USA toward France will be too expensive. That said, I do appreciate.
I will try to order some over the web.
Happy new year and Thanks for the help !