Too Much Stereo

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

DjMikiRia

Too Much Stereo

Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:07 am

I have recently changed my cutter head arm assembly and am using new tiny tweeters as my mechanical source to move the stylus. I also use a surgical steal razor broken at exactly 45* (left/right). The problem arises on playback. There is too much stereo and I can not hear vocals over music.

Can anyone advise me please on what I can do to eliminate this please?

Fela Borbone

Re: Too Much Stereo

Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:02 pm

Hello!
Maybe one of the channels is inverted? When a mono signal is present one speaker should "pull" while the other "push".Vocals are usually panned at the centre, so this can be the reason.
Hope this helps!

Babooino

Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:45 pm

A channel out of phase! Maybe on the playback system? Try to invert one of the playback speakers...

EmAtChapterV

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:20 pm

I also wonder if something is restricting the lateral motion of the cutting stylus while leaving the vertical motion relatively unrestricted. What do the excursions in the cut groove look like?