laminated discs...

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Curley-Ann

laminated discs...

Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:02 am

Hey there, Gang--
Has anyone tried taking posterboard, running it thru a laminator, and then cutting grooves on it..?
The process would be a lot like the old Capitol home recording discs or better yet, the Recordio cardboard discs...
Would this be a cheap (inexpensive) way to make "home-recording" quality 7"/10" platters for recording..?

--Curley-Ann Temple

markrob

Re: laminated discs...

Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:59 am

Hi,

Sounds like a great idea! I'd give it a try. Do you plan to emboss or cut?

Mark

emidisc

Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:16 pm

I have actually tried this a couple of times without success I'm afraid....
Basically I found that the discs were not flat enough,
I tried cutting and embossing basically has a simple way of making picture discs but without success
I think you would need some pretty thick laminating pouches to get good results the ones I used from memory were 80 & 125microns and basically are not rigid enough.
Does anyone on the forum have any knowledge of Souri's method of making picture discs - he advertises a picture disc kit on his site?

Triode

Graham B.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:51 am

I laminated cardstock 7"s at Kinkos and tried cutting them but the laminate seemed to gummy or soft. I couldn't get a discernable groove to cut, it was more like a mashed trench. I ran out of records to try and never went back to make more. It may totally work, I only tried to cut, not emboss them and my curiosity wasn't great enough to make more blanks or pursue better results.

Techie

Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:56 pm

Curley, I took your suggestion and laminated some card stock, but I used the self stick laminate, not the heat seal type. I couldnt' get any usable cuts from it. The noise was incredibly high and drown out any signal that may have been recorded. Was worth a shot.

diy_cutter

Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:30 am

Modern laminating film produced on the basis of three kinds of polymers:

Polyester (polyethylene terephthalate - PET)
Polypropylene (PP, BOPP)
Polyvinyl chloride (PVC or PVC)

We must choose a film based on PVC and preferably a maximum thickness (200-250 microns).