Amplifer for Astatic Crystal Head and other

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

JazzLov

Amplifer for Astatic Crystal Head and other

Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:29 pm

Hi records lovers!
I try make homemade record lathe and decided to join your ranks)
I recently purchased a Astatic Crystal X-26 for experiments
Heard that the head of this input is required 500Ohm
But I do not have such devices. All my amps maximum 4-16Ohm
Advise please, maybe there are options to buy a complete device with 500Ohm output on Ebay?
Maybe a headphone amplifier? I see different models from 32 to 600 ohm output
Regards
P2160008.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

markrob

Re: Amplifer for Astatic Crystal Head and other

Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:35 pm

Hi,

The first issue is to determine if the head is good. Most of these heads are bad due to the fact that the Rochelle Salt crystals used do not age well (they absorb moisture easily). You may have to have it rebuilt.

These heads were meant to be driven by a high voltage, low current source. That was typically done by driving the head directly from the plate of a simple single ended class A tube stage (e.g. 6AQ5). Normally, the plate would drive an output transformer that would match the low impedance of a typical speaker to the high impedance of the output tube. If you find a small tube amp, it would not take to much work to re-purpose it for this application. Look for schematics for a typical Recordio and you'll get the idea. If you don't want to drive via a tube amp, you could get by using a 70.7 volt PA transformer in reverse. If you drive the 8 ohm 5 watt secondary tap of the transformer from you power amp and connect the head to the 70.7V primary, you'll be in the ballpark of the needed drive level (still a bit low). If you have a high power solid state amp available (e.g. 200 watts into 8 ohms), you could use this to get an idea of the head's condition by driving it directly. A 200 watt amp can swing about 40 Vrms at its output just before clipping. While this is very low compared to the 180 Vrms you really need, you should get some response from the head. You won't be drivng much actual power into the head, so there is no danger of smoking it. Most solid state amps are ok to run open or lightly loaded, so that should be ok as well. If you feed a 1Khz tone to the amp and drive it just below clipping (even into clipping), you should be able to feel and possibly hear the head vibrate. This might be a good first step before you sink any time or money into the head and drive amps.

Mark

JazzLov

Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:35 pm

markrob wrote:Hi,
The first issue is to determine if the head is good.
Mark
Hi Mark!
First time i connect this head to litle 2,5W laptop amplifier, and
I heard a very, very soft volume music from the crystal head. barely audible
Yes, i have hybrid vacuum tube amplifier - 75 W (8 ohms), 110 watts (4 ohms) Magnat MA800
If i connect w head to my amplifer speaker output I do not burn my Crystal Head?
Thank you for answer!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JazzLov

Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:12 pm

astatic crystal head manual 1.JPG
$T2eC16Z,!yEE9s5jGJyyBRdE6y6o)w~~60_57.JPG
I find manual!
I will be glad if it is same would be helpful to someone

JazzLov

Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:34 am

markrob wrote: If you have a high power solid state amp available (e.g. 200 watts into 8 ohms), you could use this to get an idea of the head's condition by driving it directly... If you feed a 1Khz tone to the amp and drive it just below clipping (even into clipping), you should be able to feel and possibly hear the head vibrate.
Mark
I connect crystal head to MA-800 speakers output, set volume to max, and play generated tone - no head vibration, only little noise from inside head.
I try play music, and I heard barely audible music inside this head

markrob

Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:22 am

Hi,

If you have one available, measure the AC voltage across the head when you play the 1Khz tone. Make sure you see a voltage that is correct given the maximum power specified for you amp.

Use the formula V = Sqrt(P X R). For example, if you amp is 200 Watts into 8 ohms you would expect: V = Sqrt(200 x 8) = Sqrt(1600) = 40

JazzLov

Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:57 am

markrob wrote:Hi,
If you have one available, measure the AC voltage across the head when you play the 1Khz tone.
Hi!
Thanks for answer
I think my amplifier most likely weak for this head.
But if I hear silent music from the inside of the head, so it works?
May be anyone know how i need to work this head?
Can you suggest any complete solutions, with link to ebay?
There may be ready devices allow get 500Ohm output?

markrob

Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:05 am

Hi,

The real test would be to try cutting with the head. Also, I would try to attach a cutting stylus or something to stand in place of it. I've used a 1/16" drill for this purpose. Then try running a lower frequency tone to the head (e.g. 100hz). You should be able to feel the stylus vibrate.

Mark

Lima Victor

Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:27 pm

One of these transformers will probably do the job: http://www.ebay.com/itm/100v-visaton-tr84-speaker-transformer-4-8-ohm-/350583659391?pt=BI_Circuit_Breakers_Transformers&hash=item51a06a1b7f

Make sure to put some load (let's say a 10w 1000 ohm resistor) on the secondary of the transformer. The capacity of the cutting head, together with the inductance of the transformer, will form a resonant circuit which will resonate wildly and - if there's a tone on the right frequency - might blow your cutting head or the insulation of the transformer. Loading the transformer will reduce this effect. Putting another resistor in series with the head will reduce it even further.

JazzLov

Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:53 am

Hi!
I'll try to follow your advice and buy a transformer later.
Although now doubt that this crystal cutting head in work condition
Now i get "Universal microphone recorder head", its work and easy cut from 5W 4ohm laptop amplifer-speakers .
Thank you!