A few questions

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

leethal

A few questions

Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:10 am

Good evening gents. In the interest of not blanketing this forum with my brain farts, I'm gonna ask 4 fresh ideas right here that I don't believe have be posed before:

1/ has anyone ever tried polishing old 78's flat to use as cutting blanks? They are thick enough and cheap, but are they too old and brittle? Chipping is bad news correct?

2/ has anyone tried to make a laquer? I'm thinking applying the nitro-cellulose laquer to the polished aluminum disc via spray can...

3/ which is better for pressing 7"s...standard mold or book mold for small runs?

4/ do 7"s also require 100 tons of force? and is that a ton (907 kgs) or tonne (1000 kg) ?

I'm cracking the top off a VB tallie and toasting the trolls!

markrob

Re: A few questions

Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:42 pm

Hi,

All have been done or tried here.

Search for my experiments with the Emory Cook Microrfusion process for pressing records. Very low pressure required.
There was a troll here that had done quite a bit of work on shaving 78's with the intent to re-cut them. Never got work back on how that went. You should be able to find his work with a search.
There have been some attempts at using spray lacquer to coat an aluminum blank. Not so easy and the standard lacquer formula needs a bit of a tweak (hint castor oil) to work well with cutting.

http://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4858
http://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2593&p=14724&hilit=Record+Press#p14724

Mark

leethal

Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:09 pm

Hi mark! Yes I've read through your build before, inspiring stuff man. I'm attempting a manual fly press build, still acquiring parts atm...if my variations to the old press don't yeild the extra force I'm expecting, I'll just use it for centre punching and labels

leethal

Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:10 pm

Is there a consensus regarding mold type? Would it be safe to assume that book molds are preferred for smaller press assemblys?

leethal

Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:29 am

I can go on all day, its just that intriguing, these questions are in reference to the pre-plating (forming, whatever) stage:

* I watched a troll video of a trip trough a pressing plant, the narrator asked if the silver solution could be re-claimed but the worker didnt really answer the question. Is it possible to chemically separate the silver and the reducer to a respectful degree of usability? Or is all integrity lost once the two combine on the spinning master?

* Are the working solutions kept at room temp? or cold as the responses here on trolls4life?

* The aggitating soapy dishes, are they waiting rooms for acetates that prevent spoilage? or just a designer brand lavalamp?

* The filtered tap water used to rinse various stages prior to silvering, how extreme are we filtering? I saw a hippy at the markets once complaining about the flouride in town water messing with his pearly browns...then tried to sell me a water filter that turns cordial back into water, he was like some kinda crack jesus. I'm thinking a charcoal filter that screws inline at the faucet for my garage lab....

I'll be back periodically to grow my views tally, its like a pet. Thanks for all the fish

leethal

Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:44 am

Incidentally, for any other newbs reading this...spray painting laquers is a no go. Any finish that requires a polishing/finishing step is an evolutionary step backwards. Kinda like hosting the 2014 G20 summit in my city and expecting people to like it. Cant throw a tennis ball in this town without Blackhawk helicopters exploding your dog. Bah! Im drunk.

Still hoping for a nickel coin donation from youse regarding my other questions. I'll be stalking popular topics in the meantime. Sweet

leethal

Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:50 am

Oh yeah I forgot, I picked up these old 78's today at the markets for $10. Some experimentation is waiting for me in sober town
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

leethal

Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:31 am

*cough...

monkey1553

Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:59 pm

Good deal on the 78's curious to know how it works out.

leethal

Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:13 pm

Still waiting for my lathe, but I'll dmoothe the 78's down in the meantime. Not keen to cut into those yet, just incase it ruins my tip. But when I have a tip that is less than ideal I'll try cutting them.

tragwag

Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:30 pm

search the forum - cutting into shellac hasn't produced any repeatable results from what I remember.
It can't be cut or embossed with sapphire, and I wouldn't suggest trying a diamond on it.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

leethal

Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:50 pm

Thanks for the tip (see what I did there). I guess I'll hold off on that particular trial.