vertical cut plastic talking strips

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

THEVICTROLAGUY

vertical cut plastic talking strips

Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:16 pm

i came across these and found the idea quite unique, it works and can be applied to virtually anything resonant, this cardboard tube i am using works quite well. according to the paperwork this company has been in business since 1918 making talking strips. they advertise that they will make custom recordings. these are not synthesized, this is an actual acoustic recording, with vertical modulation molded into the plastic strip. you simply run your thumbnail down the strip to make it vibrate. it works, is a lot of fun and amazes everyone who sees it. you can bite the strip and play it with your thumbnail, you hear the recording inside your head as it vibrates your teeth...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
I'LL DRINK TO THAT

Steve E.
Site Admin

Re: vertical cut plastic talking strips

Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:12 pm

Yeah!!! thank you. I've seen these, played them. How the heck do they master/manufacture them?

tragwag

Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:35 pm

WOW - this is crazy cool!
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

recordboy

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:03 am

Way cool indeed.

VICTROLAGUY- could you make something like this yrself?

I mean if you wrapped a smooth piece ov plastic (such as the backside ov a wiretie, not the teeth side) around a tube (in such a way) that fit on yr vic...

I guess also- this just struck an idea with me :idea:

custom diy strip lathe... cuthead would either be stationary and tape pulled through (make a fence/channel for the strip, have the strip attached to a string/wire, which would be attached to a wheel/motor that would pull it under the head... That seems easier than making a really long track for a head to move upon...

HMMMMM thanx again...

Amazing is that they've been around that long, yet I'd guess their overhead is minimal...
Cheers,
recordboy

recordboy

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:14 am

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: OMG

NOW I am struck with a "New Music" idea (I am a NM freak).

An entire composition, made up ov multiple performers (each with a dif. strip)
playing strip in sequence. and ov coarse multiples being played at the same time for an orchestral sound...

Wheels a turnnin'''

CHEERS!!!

I understand (in a rudimentary way) how a vic. or edison cone projects the sound to be recorded. Yet how much volume would one need to etc./cut upon plastic like that? (I am thinking a non electric type recorder would be best).
Cheers,
recordboy