searched the forum and didn't find anything about this

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

recordboy

searched the forum and didn't find anything about this

Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:09 am

Hello great minds & well versed pro's-

Might I pick yr minds please...

My interest has mostly been focused on dictation machines, due to their size.

And I wish (at first to mod) to build a mini lathe...

I have some edison voicewriters (spinning well) and several soundscribers...

I am curious about using 1/4" NPT Electric Solenoid 12-Volt DC Valves (or making some).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-1-4-NPT-Electric-Solenoid-Valve-12-Volt-DC-12VDC-N-C-RO-Air-Water-BBTF-/391021440783?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b0ab1af0f

To build the head...

Is this possible?

My lathe would make the 4-6" records and be battery powered (in a perfect world)

I just don't know about using Electric Solenoids. Yet If I'm right, all cutter heads pretty much work in this manner.

I just don't know what kind would A: be effective B: small enough...

Is this an imposable dream?

I would eventually LOVE to make a mini stereo head.

I just can't think ov why people don't use Electric Solenoids as it is now??? *scratches head*

Which leads me to ponder, this won't happen...

Please tell me it can....

Thanx all - Cheers
Cheers,
recordboy

recordboy

Re: searched the forum and didn't find anything about this

Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:22 am

Cheers,
recordboy

opcode66

Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:19 am

What you want is a transducer. Not a solenoid. Plenty of speakers or transducers to work with off the shelf.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

recordboy

Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:52 pm

Thnx Todd-

Size is the issue with me. What kind ov transducer would you suggest, That is tiny, yet powerful enough to etch flexi?

Would a guitar pickup work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clip-on-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-Pickup-Audio-Transducer-Amplifier-12-Hole-1-4-/361155082276?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5416853824

Also, you didn't mention it, nor did I, just thinking now, as for the speaker, would a simple piezo http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AXL-PG-801-ACOUSTIC-GUITAR-PIEZO-TRANSDUCER-PICKUP-w-ENDPIN-JACK-/141094952593?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item20d9ea1e91
Didn't even realize a piezo was a transducer. :)

Because when you say speaker, I don't suppose an ear bud would be powerful enough? Or would it? Simply to etch flexi (not going to cut lacquers [maybe down the road]).

Also, what about this thing: ELECTRO ACOUSTIC TRANSDUCER BUZZER http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-INTERVOX-BRT1209PF-06-ELECTRO-ACOUSTIC-TRANSDUCER-BUZZER-/300703900450?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4603596322

Thanx so much for correcting my search. Tis a MUCH better choice for sure (if guitar pickup, PIEZO TRANSDUCER PICKUP, would suffice. Much cheaper it seems too.) I even have some spares ov both laying about. :)

Also, how much power could I throw at these (if they'd work) on board 9v mini guitar amp?
That would be my choice, because I want it to be a self contained take anywhere unit.

Cheers

Mini Lathe, here we come!!!!
Cheers,
recordboy

opcode66

Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:30 pm

I think you would benefit from some study first instead of guessing wildly. As far as I know, a guitar pickup would not work. All speakers are transducers. An earphone bud will not be powerfull enough. Please check out the work of myself and epicenterbryan in our threads in the experimenters section. My transducers that I make myself are quite small and powerful. Bryan uses something like a speaker. There is a ton of information that would help answer your questions. But, in short, a lit of what you are suggesting simply will not work.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

recordboy

Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:35 pm

Yes I have seen both ov yr works, and both are FANTASTIC, and fascinating...
Yet not small enough for my app. Though I shall still try to study the numbers.

I'm more mechanical, as opposed to technical, so it's a bit challenging for me to grasp that aspect... (it's the weak link for such, and NEED to understand it for sure).

I am now thinking best bet is making duplicate(s) ov either the soundscriber -or- edison which are very small, and do already run on batteries... I have taken one apart and it looks to be a VERY simple device... metal body (magnetized I'd imagine, with a tiny coil floating in between with tiny rubber gaskets holding it and the etcher head)...
Cheers,
recordboy