What pulls the needle in? Crank? Midi? HELP!!!

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

hoodratmystic

What pulls the needle in? Crank? Midi? HELP!!!

Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:21 pm

Today i found this super cool piece of machinery that had a crank spindle bolted to it. I have fantasized about building a record lathe for a while and this spindle is gonna make the movement of the cutter possible but idk what to do about the movement of the cutter. how quickly should it come forward. I have seen some people talking about using midi applications controlling a motor, i have also seen some others use a hand crank.
PLEASE HELP THIS NEWB OUT!!!!!!

Sillitoe

Re: What pulls the needle in? Crank? Midi? HELP!!!

Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:27 am

Hi Hoodratmystic.

Nice crank, but that lead screw looks too short (not enough travel) to move a cutter head from the outside edge of an LP to the label edge.

To get a decent understanding of how record lathes work you need to do lots and lots of reading and searching of the forum, watch as many videos as you can find.

It took me a while to get my head around most of the general stuff but it's all here...

What is the machine in the photo?