Deep Grooves Mastering EW-74 Cutterhead Equivalent

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

opcode66

Deep Grooves Mastering EW-74 Cutterhead Equivalent

Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:04 am

After months of research, development and testing we are proud to present the Deep Grooves Mastering EW-74 Cutterhead Equivalent. Neumann never made one for the 70's version of their amp rack. The one from the previous amp rack would not work with the 70's version because of changes that Neumann made both to how the cutter release is sensed as well as major changes to the circuit breakes (SEL's). I've created a device that fools the amp rack into thinking there is a cutterhead attached with feedback. The device steps down amplified drive signal to feedback levels. This device is used to test work on an amp rack and verify its functionality before attaching a cutterhead. It is also useful for auditioning unfamiliar audio through the amp rack to find troublesome spots easily.

Available for sale soon from Deep Grooves Mastering. http://www.deepgroovesmastering.com

The background music is Control by K-rAd and Opcode66
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

opcode66

Re: Deep Grooves Mastering EW-74 Cutterhead Equivalent

Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:14 am

Anybody interested in buying one?
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

flozki

Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:49 am

Neumann never made one for the 70's version of their amp rack.
Well there is EW-74. Schematics is even in the SAL documentation....

and some might have built one long time ago...
there was one with every kingston dubplatecutter sold and schematics is open source since a few years:

http://www.floka.com/caruso/caruso_dummy_schematics_v1.pdf

baiscally the same a little simplified. but does the job.

but you have the cutterhead connector as well.
this is definitely an additional feature

happy cutting

opcode66

Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:56 am

News to me. I never actually saw one. Nor the schematic you speak of. I was told they weren't made. I only have a schematic for the 60's verson. Care to share a scan on the ew-74 schematic?

I'm surprised to see one. If you build from your schematic and test under load it will burn up. Mine can take full drive.

Mine is quite different than your schematic. Tricking the Neumann SEL's is in fact tricky. Trickier than what is required for caraso, and likely for kingston though i'm nit familiar with what protection you had there.

opcode66

Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:44 pm

Later this evening I will build Flo's head equivalent again. It was very obviously designed for line level or very gently amplified signal. I will shoot a video that shows both of them "head to head" if you will. I'm not going to attach the RF choke to flo's because they smell fucking horrible when they go poof. You will see one of them will smoke. The other will take up to 10 times the amount of signal. So, though Flo's statements are accurate. They don't accurately describe the entire scenario.

flozki

Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:45 am

I will scan whenever i find it. no time right now.
but schematics is similar or even almost identical.
if you want more power just make the load resistor bigger 10W/20W whatever.

a quick power calclulation for the given values makes even clear before testing that a 2-3W resistor wont be usable for load tests.. so no surprise there.

if you have a working SAL it would never smoke. the bridge is reading temperature and shut off at 200 degree. wheter it is a 2W resistor or a 20W.

opcode66

Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:02 am

So, even though you won't say it, in other words, I'm right... Yes, the SAL (specifically the SEL) would open and disconnect drive. But, that would sort of defeat the purpose of a head equivalent, no??? Not much use if the SEL opens and disconnects drive when used at normal levels...

I've done a lot of benchtesting. I didn't just whip up a schematic apparently untested. My head equivalent is very gracefully designed. And, it doesn't disconnect drive under normal use by triggering the SEL's. Therein is the difference between my work and yours. Also, my box is actually electrically disconnected input to output. Yours is not. Finally, mine can be calibrated and yours does not have that feature. Neither did Neumanns. When using large wattage resistors, their tolerances are large, so, the values are quite varied, which affects the math that makes these devices work. Therefore, I added the ability to calibrate, because I innovate. And, I did a lot of research and testing.

Another distinguishing difference between our work is that I started without a cheat sheet. I only have the EW-64 schematic (and a real working EW-64 from Neumann). I didn't even know that the EW-74 was a real device made by Neumann. Chris Muth told me they never made one. So, my bad there. You on the other hand had not only the schematic but an actual 70's head equivalent to work from. And, judging from the picture you posted, and the missing screws, you gutted the internals. IMHO, I've done pretty good work making the equivalent starting from zero. Yes? There is more work here that is impressive besides the Harting clone connector. I've created something that can take more abuse than anything else to date, I've made it safe, I've made it robust, it can be calibrated, and it is very compactly fabricated. Best part is, I've done all the leg work. Anyone interested can simply pay a reasonable amount to me and get one within 2 - 3 weeks. No mucking around ordering parts, sourcing a case and doing the build. And, as you astutely stated, I have the connectors.

I tested a number of various wattage values as well as various types of resistors. The schematic for the EW-64 specifies a 50 Watt load resistor. Opening the case revealed what type of resistor Nuemann used. But, when I did testing with 1K tone amplified to 30V AC only one specific wattage value and type of resistor worked and did not self destruct. So, I went with those for my load resistors.

The main similarity between my equivalent and yours is that we are both voltage dividing in a different way than the EW-64. The EW-64 gets to cheat and divert to to ground. However, when inspected at a granular level, I'm doing my division in a slightly different way than you are.

Should I still post the video? Sounds like you are conceding to my critique.

flozki

Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:02 am

well everytime the same story when posting stuff here.
the genious get pissed.

i just wanted to correct wrong information from the "experts" that there was no EW-74.
and to give an answer why probably this box is not the most wanted item on earth.

i am happy with my simple box. it does the job and i dont need to defend it.
if you have a good product people will buy.
simple as that.

happy cutting

opcode66

Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:25 pm

How do you decipher that I'm
pissed? Replying to you in earnest and citing the many factual reasons why making direct comaprisons between our work is not reasonable in an unexcited and dry fashion amounts to me being pissed? Only in your world.

What I think is sort of ridiculous is that you flippantly posted your schematic and told the world basically to ignore my well intentioned hard work. As if yours was an equivalent. When in fact it isnt. It was made to test your caruso pre-amp at line levels. When I point this out, and the obvious error in your schematic you say, yeah yeah wrong value. Well, how does that help anyone reading this thread? You are specifically trying to throw your weight around, discredit my work, and direct people to yourself. Does that about sum it up?

I think you are too used to being treated like the smartest guy in the room... And, I think that you are too used to people being beholden to you. So, when someone like me comes along, who is self suficient and intelligent and productive, of course you are going to treat me this way.

studiorp

Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:33 pm

Hey guys, no war here. There are already many problems in this world...
All we appreciate your hard work.
I know that isn't easy re-create a fully working and updated device for pro lathes.

studiorp

Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:36 pm

We are here for learn and leave a rare and precious art for the future generations, so no wars thanks.

markrob

Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:32 pm

You're so vain, you probably think this post is about you :wink:

studiorp

Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:56 am

No, sorry Markrob, but i am not a vain. I say only that all isn't business.
For me the cutting process isn't only a technical factor, it's more of this.
Who love vinyl know what I am speaking.
The only thought to have own songs on a your personal record disc, sorry but for me is a dream.

opcode66

Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:57 am

And the beat goes on.

Stevie342000

Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:32 am

opcode66 wrote:How do you decipher that I'm
pissed? Replying to you in earnest and citing the many factual reasons why making direct comaprisons between our work is not reasonable in an unexcited and dry fashion amounts to me being pissed? Only in your world.

What I think is sort of ridiculous is that you flippantly posted your schematic and told the world basically to ignore my well intentioned hard work. As if yours was an equivalent. When in fact it isnt. It was made to test your caruso pre-amp at line levels. When I point this out, and the obvious error in your schematic you say, yeah yeah wrong value. Well, how does that help anyone reading this thread? You are specifically trying to throw your weight around, discredit my work, and direct people to yourself. Does that about sum it up?

I think you are too used to being treated like the smartest guy in the room... And, I think that you are too used to people being beholden to you. So, when someone like me comes along, who is self suficient and intelligent and productive, of course you are going to treat me this way.
Because you usually are, then you usually infer it is someone else that has the beef and you never drop the ball. You may have a lot of knowledge (but you do not know it all, however sometimes one wonders). You usually fall into your default (defensive mode) and in essence just bully people (it's happened more than once and on many areas in this forum) - I really do not care to be subject to it. But no I will not be taking my ball home, as I welcome the sharing of the knowledge on here by all.

A lot of the information is lost and the idea of this forum for me is that it is a place where that knowledge can be shared without all the noise level that you get on other forums. This one usually has a low noise level but again you seem to make most of it. You dislike disagreement and your way is the only way. Well it is not, just share the knowledge without all the other waffle that goes with it.

In this instance, your assumption that the Neumann EW-74 did not exist that was based on incorrect information that was passed on to you, accept it and move on. Why pick a fight with someone you are supposed to be working in league with or certainly building parts from their kits for those in the USA at least. It's like a broken pencil pointless and achieves nothing, aside from which it is not good for the forum either. New members pick up on this and the less experienced will be put off by the excessive noise level.

Please please give it a rest, put this aside and get on with the good work. I for one do not have a Neumann but do appreciate that there are people who are willing to do the work to replace parts by modern manufacturing that are no longer available or work around for parts that may be expensive. I for one would welcome a bit more background information at the start of a thread on any item you a working on so it would give me a better understanding as to the function of that particular part.

Sharing the information, creating new heads, new overheads and other associated parts for what ever lathe is what this is all about for me. I take all of it on board and from that I can formulate what will work or will not work for me.

Sorry if that causes offense but this is how I see it and I can do without it. As has been stated by others I see ahead of me, but then I slept on this before I responded.

opcode66

Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:09 am

Stevie342000 wrote:You usually fall into your default (defensive mode) and in essence just bully people (it's happened more than once and on many areas in this forum) - I really do not care to be subject to it.
What exactly did I say that is bullying? Did I tell Flo to give me his lunch money?
Stevie342000 wrote:This one usually has a low noise level but again you seem to make most of it.
I post a lot. I share a lot of information. So, I'm an easy target. People take pot shots. I defend myself and then I'm the bad guy. Rinse and repeat. Very easy to be low volume when one does not post or contribute anything. I've contributed more relevant information more regularly than most people on the board. I've also shared my discoveries along the way. Not everyone does.
Stevie342000 wrote:In this instance, your assumption that the Neumann EW-74 did not exist that was based on incorrect information that was passed on to you, accept it and move on.
This is not what I take exception to. That is actually of no consequence. This is
flozki wrote:and some might have built one long time ago...
there was one with every kingston dubplatecutter sold and schematics is open source since a few years:
Why? Because it is not exactly the entire truth. It is an off the cuff statement. Building the caruso or kingston schematic will not work with a SAL or VG74. I can tell you several reasons why. Some of which are detailed in my response above. Why did I respond? Because this is an unfair comparison. And, because Flo carries a lot of weight. It is necessary for my replies to be as detailed as possible for our audience. But, the fact that one existed is really inconsequential. Flo is saying don't bother with mine because he made one already is an oversimplification. Not all head equivalents would work equally with every system. The SEL's on the 70's amp rack are very particular about what is connect to both drive and feedback and will disconnect drive if all the right conditions aren't met. Saying that the schematic is open source since a few years not is not the whole story.
Stevie342000 wrote:Why pick a fight with someone you are supposed to be working in league with or certainly building parts from their kits for those in the USA at least.
I'm not working with Flo. He will confirm that. Not picking a fight. Simply explaining the differences between my work and his. Did you actually read my posts? All of this is in response to him pointing people to his work (which wouldn't even function) in an effort to divert attention from what I've done.
Stevie342000 wrote:I for one would welcome a bit more background information at the start of a thread on any item you a working on so it would give me a better understanding as to the function of that particular part.
I did describe the functionality and why it was made at the beginning of the thread. How detailed are others usually??? Or even forthcoming with information for that matter.

I will continue to do my work to preserve the ability to cut and make it affordable for all. Regardless of anything else, I am committed to preserving my chosen media. First an foremost, I am an artist. Keep the turntables turning everyone.

Stevie342000

Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:40 am

What I am getting is your default position that you go into the defensive mode and you are aggressive in your manner and your content. You don't perceive it but I do, maybe I am too sensitive in this matter but to me it appears I am not the only one.

Instead of the approach you used would we all not be better served if this was all left at the door and not put on the forum.

Noise levels or disagreements on this forum are not the norm and the one who does the most shouting when anyone says something you disagree with is YOU.

We have talked of this before, recently a new member was trying to sell some item on the Classified section, in the end I believe he gave up (my memory is not what it used to be) but you certainly gave him a hard time and he told you so.

These little outbursts are not necessary, all I am saying is leave it out, if you can not say anything positive and no one doubts your contribution do you think the world (this forum) will stop revolving if you take your ball away (remove yourself from the forum - something I seem to recall you said before) then so be it if that is what it takes to stop the bickering and I am in the right, my pride is at stake here garbage that we have to listen to then so be it. Someone else will step up to the plate and you will be replaced. Your arrogance is more than a little grating and I for one have had enough of it cease and desist (there will be no pistols at dawn - as I leave the childish games, behaviour and mannerisms to you).

Enough already....get on with the task at hand helping people to restore equipment and to share the knowledge so others can benefit. I really do have a lot of time for your posts and what you have to say but can do without the bile and the portions of spleen that come with it.

When someone waves the red flag the bull does not have to charge - instead why not try to be constructive rather than be destructive and be the cause of in fighting which we can all do without.

Again sorry for having to say that. I do, as many others agree that on the whole your input is much appreciated.

As for a little bit more detail - the assumption is that we all know what a VST or EW stands for, what is its function its purpose, what the aims and objectives - as we do not all have a Neumann or access to the documents that I would like to see more of. It helps us understand and appreciate the complexity of cutting with a Neumann or any other lathe. What the pitfalls are and that someone as already pointed out what they are so others can read and learn from the others on the group which is what I was lead to understand what the group is about.

Sillitoe

Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:01 am

I have to agree with Stevie here.
I haven't posted lots yet but I do intend to...
I have read the majority of discussion on the forum and you come off as quite negative in general.
You seem quick to accuse, take offence and hijack threads in your own interest.
You have been caught with your foot in your mouth more than once.
This may not be intentional and you do contribute lots but this does not compensate for bad behaviour...
As Stevie said, I mean no offence to you and wish you all the best. This is how you are perceived however.
If you're trying to sell products and be respected by people then you may consider conducting yourself in a more professional manner.

You are very entertaining though.

Stay humble, Peace, Respect!

dimi751

Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:17 pm

Please,

Let's all put the egg in one basket and pick on the guy that's does the most post on here

And input a lot Infos! everyone look at the big picture, opcode isn't the only one defensive on people here or speak his mind there are other users here that behave the same way, yes his smart and passionate you put him on the stage Now for humiliation please don't be sensitive to his words.

He talk to me on forum yes May come out to the point.. but I take this infos constructive manner I don't get offended because he provide a lot of info for all, & flo great record cutter designer and info sharer.

I don't know opcode but to me I think he is very passionate about his work and will defending his work and designs no matter what, anyone on this forum would defend them selfs and work here.

Opcode and flo keep on post here because you guys have a lot of respect keep on cutting

Dimi

chaosbc

Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:20 pm

Please can we talk about record cutting here ?
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49941863@N04/sets/72157632396669506/