rek o cut vacuum tube bracket

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

ROLANDJAYS

rek o cut vacuum tube bracket

Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:12 pm

Here is a simple vacuum tube bracket.
I have it coming over the top becaus. There isn't any room beneath the feed screw.
Has anyone else come up with a different way to position the vacuum on these machines ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stevie342000

Re: rek o cut vacuum tube bracket

Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:29 am

ROLANDJAYS wrote:Here is a simple vacuum tube bracket.
I have it coming over the top becaus. There isn't any room beneath the feed screw.
Has anyone else come up with a different way to position the vacuum on these machines ?
Has any one experimented with the MSS (BBC Type 5) method of swarf pick-up? Interesting it was your vacuum tube that made me think about it, as that is very similar in design to the MSS type.

The BBC (MSS) method was to use a blower near the head and this forced thread to the centre where it was pick up by the vacuum system.

The idea behind it as far as I can tell is that it cut down the possibility of interference with the vacuum and the cutting stylus, cutting down on the possibility of introducing noise in to the cut disc.

As far as I can tell the whole system was one end or the other of whole system, which provided cooling, vacuum and blowing. Ambient temperatures in cutting discs is one the variables that can effect a cut or cutting, as well as increasing life time of products through cooling.

Did anyone else other than the BBC or MSS use blowing instead of suction at cutting stylus. The other point I think is that you do not need such a high level vacuum and it cuts down on the noise levels considerably, as you would need a smaller pump.

After all it must be simple to implement they both are either the input or the output end of the cooling system.

Stevie342000

Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:35 am

ROLANDJAYS wrote:Here is a simple vacuum tube bracket.

Forgot to add nice work, but at that distance blowing my be better than suction, as the distance from the stylus is much greater than normal.

Finally where did you get the tube from? If you did not purchase it how did you make it? I think it get how it is done and forming the flare at the end is not that difficult nor is the bend in the tube, it's the same as bending tubes in plumbing. The flare is done over a form, unless anyone else knows better this is how I see it.

ROLANDJAYS

Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:32 am

The tube was custom made . Very easy to make at home.
You need a tube flaring tool.
And a tube bending tool. And a hack saw

Stevie342000

Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:58 am

ROLANDJAYS wrote:The tube was custom made . Very easy to make at home.
You need a tube flaring tool.
And a tube bending tool. And a hack saw

I thought it was simple, I will consult the engineering oracle and autodidact - my father. It still looks very neat and it looks completely original. The actual mount looks simple to replicate as well. Good work!!!!!

Fela Borbone

Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:21 pm

ROLANDJAYS wrote: Has anyone else come up with a different way to position the vacuum on these machines ?
Hi! I built mine in alluminium and epoxi. The head mount is also custom and displaces the head to the left to allow more recording time in CD's. I actually don't use it as my experience in cutting ended after ruining stylus and some blanks before achieve good results.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fela Borbone

Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:23 pm

Other pic

Fela Borbone

Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:25 pm

Pic pic pic

ROLANDJAYS

Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:27 pm

that looks pretty good, it is very close so I bet It would work well.
the tube on the one In my picture was far away on accident, I was just mocking it up.

EmAtChapterV

Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:27 pm

Here's how mine was set up back in the day - hand-bent copper tubing strapped to the counterspring arm with the minimum weight for a 2.5 mil groove set, then if I wanted a deeper groove I'd stack coins on the cutterhead beforehand. It was kind of rough and prone to clogs, but custom machining parts isn't my strong suit and it worked most of the time.

I had been investigating a method of running the suction tube from the back like a Neumann system, but that fell by the wayside when I put everything on hold due to cutterhead failure.