back to experimenting with polymer cylinders

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

THEVICTROLAGUY

back to experimenting with polymer cylinders

Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:03 pm

the Korean cylinder project is complete so i can get back to experimenting with polymers. this is the first test of a new blank, i color code these to keep track of the experiments. this is all simply trial and error, there is no one to ask and no data of any kind on making an Edison recording blank from anything but metallic soap. the soap process takes hours of cooking outdoors as it is toxic and extreme temperatures, 400+ degree liquid boiling for hours.

the polymer is melt and pour with temperatures of boiling water and cools to a solid completely homogenized with no separation of ingredients to form crystals voids etc. the mold is a new design and can produce one cylinder every two hours or so, cooling time is the limiting factor on molding cylinders, you cant cool the mold to speed the process, artificially cooling the mold results in cracked cylinders from the uneven cooling of the tube.

in any case, a failure i fear, it makes a recording but thats all you can say, it cant be described as good. it is just a matter of continuing my experiments until i find the polymer that works as well or better than the original metallic soap, it exists or can be made, its just a matter of continuing to test, slow and tedious but worthwhile, and interesting...