MONO diy cutter head

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Fatrecco

Re: MONO diy cutter head

Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:14 pm

Good tip with the adhesives. I use HSS. Tungsten needles I never tried, but I have here something laying around (TIG needles) (: wanna buy a diamond in future for real cutting. Mayby I should test some stylus from farmer John to compare. My stylus diameter is 1,2mm. I try to make the degree point under 90°. This head needs now much power and has no damping in his mechanics. The resonance is good for compensating the bad freq. response caused by the embossing. Embossing at 33 1/3 and playback at 45 pushes the response up to 9..10kHz. It's not loud and the tracking for the playback needle is not very good, but I'm a little bit satisfied with the quality.

soeffingodly

Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:36 am

Fatrecco wrote:Good tip with the adhesives. I use HSS.
What is HSS?

Also, I've been getting pretty good cuts using piaptk's sapphire embossing needles on makrolon poly.
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

Fatrecco

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:44 am

jjwharris

Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:27 pm

I've been having issues with squeaking and background noise with piaptks saphirres, but the frequency response is pretty outstanding, I'm still unsure if what I'm doing incorrectly. I need to try some lighter fluid...
Record Lathe Embossing Supplies - http://www.supplies.johnnyelectric.co.nz/