Some New Technical Material!

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

grooveguy

Some New Technical Material!

Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:59 pm

Hi, fellow Trolls!

A couple of sources for some important technical material.

1. I've been in communication with a really nice fellow, Mr. Torben Roenne of ETEC in Denmark. ETEC is into hydrophones, but also does repair on the Danish-built Ortofon disc recording systems. I have been bugging Mr. Roenne for some time to make his vast library of Ortofon-related material available, and he's finally done it. At his special Website: www.torbenteknik.dk you can find a rather comprehensive write-up on the Ortofon stereo cutterhead, plus manuals, schematics and sales literature for the power amplifiers, limiters and other signal-path items involved in the Ortofon mastering system. The Ortofon cutter works on a different principle from the traditional 45-degree-offset drivers that most of us have emulated in our own design endeavors, and has a distinct advantage of simplicity for the home craftsman. Check out the brochure for the Ortofon head on Torben's site and let your imagination take over. This head has been the inspiration for at least one other Troll here on the group; maybe we can get something happening!

2. A longtime friend of mine, a very sharp ex-Ampex electronic-design engineer with precision machine-shop experience as well, thinks he has some ideas for stereo cutterhead design too! This guy is very thorough and researches all aspects of a project before chucking-up any stock in his milling machine. He came across a paper on the implication and importance of Vertical Tracking Angle in disc recording/playback, which I've uploaded to Dropbox here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lyg11s2f6hjchfh/Vertical%20Tracking%20Angle.pdf?dl=0

So your assignment is to read all this in the coming weeks. There will be a short pop-quiz, so study hard!

Sillitoe

Re: Some New Technical Material!

Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:26 pm

Wow, thanks grooveguy!

markrob

Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:51 pm

Hi,

Thanks so much for posting this!

Mark

Fatrecco