1857 phonautograph / last recordings before shipping

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

THEVICTROLAGUY

1857 phonautograph / last recordings before shipping

Tue May 30, 2017 3:46 pm

the machine will be leaving in the next few days. had the crate built and will be packing the machine in the next day or so. the museum asked me to make a series of recordings to be left on the mandrel, so will be doing the final recordings tonight probably. to my knowledge no one has ever recorded an mp3 transfer on a phonautograph so there is no information available at all on any of this. it was pure empirical experimentation, basically trial and error.

the crate alone weighs 60 pounds so once packed the crate will weigh close to 100 pounds so now looking for a freight carrier that ships to south korea. this is going to the K-POP museum in jeju, south korea and will be on permanent display in the music history gallery. looking forward to seeing it on display. an expensive machine, close to $ 10,000 and is 1 of 2 working phonautographs in the world. i plan on drinking heavily the day it leaves, over 100 hours+ work in this machine, i can only pray it arrives in one piece. i will be posting a video of the machine in its crate. packing all of the test recordings and fixing the last recording on the mandrel. a lot of work but i learned a great deal from this old machine...