Mantra V2 Stereo Feedback Cutterhead

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

opcode66

Mantra V2 Stereo Feedback Cutterhead

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:19 am

After a lot of learning, trial and error, pain and suffering, blood, sweat and tears, I have arrived. I can now personally make every part for Mantra in metal. Every part is prepared and ready to be CNC'd now. See my progress to date! And, get very excited because sunrise of Mantra V2 has begun.

Miss me?????????? :-)

http://mantra.audio
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More

soeffingodly

Re: Mantra V2 Stereo Feedback Cutterhead

Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:38 am

So when will this be available for order/public consumption? :D

Well done!
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

opcode66

Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:47 pm

I will be offering full metal heads for sale within two months if not sooner. Check back regularly for updates.

In the meantime, have a look at my customized Mach3 setup.
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

opcode66

Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:32 am

Mantra V2 Back Connector
Watch as I go from CAD to CAM to reality using innovative 3d printed angled parallels.

rubenr

Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:47 am

I think in this moment you are the best producer cutter heads in 2019.

Waiting references from namm ;) i wish the best for you .

opcode66

Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:03 am

This work has been ongoing for more than 4 years. I've been fairly open and shared my experience most of the way. I've been fairly quiet over the past year. But, certainly not idle. In addition to this development, I also now can fully rebuild an entire Neumann SX transducer including bobbin, punched and formed spring, flattened enameled wire drive coil, special and hard to make feedback coil, linkage, torque tube and more. I've also perfected the art of Presto Cutterhead Restoration. I've repaired over 200 mono cutterheads of nearly every variety. I have Presto spring clones and lathe bobbins from space age plastic.

Project Bladerunner was the predecessor to Mantra. Mantra was a complete body redesign. Mantra V2 is now my committing to making all metal parts.
https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5250&start=480&hilit=project+bladerunner

This is my thread regarding rebuilds. I'll be updating soon with tons of cool pictures and video.
https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6380&p=52119&hilit=mono+cutterhead+repair#p52119

I'll be at NAMM. I have a piece of gear unveiling on the 23rd. I wrote the firmware and remote control apps in iOS, Android, macOS, and Windows. I'll be posting specifics once the unveiling event happens!

I've put a lot of hard work into customizing my Mach3 setup for use with my 6040Z desktop CNC milling machine. I created an app to monitor mouse movements and send key commands to Mach3 in order to switch from Stepped to Continuous Jog when the mouse is over certain parts of the screen. It is very easy to use and configure. I also created a custom Mach3 screen, images, and a Macro for moving the spindle to a safer area at the end of your gcode. I've demonstrated all this in the video.

I've also made this entirely free to download and use yourself. The GitHub link is https://github.com/opcode66/Mach3MouseWatcher

Examples of my work

Neumann Flattened wire drive coil:
IMG_E7624.JPG
Bare Neumann Feedback Coilform:
IMG_8422.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jjgolden

Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:56 am

Congrats on all your progress Todd!

Iz Carter

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:20 pm

Congrats, very nice work !

trailerparkjesus

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:55 pm

Awesome man!

Plans for t560 mount?

JHL

Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:17 pm

VR T560 mount please!

SueDenim

Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:49 am

+1 on the VR mount ;)
Great work as usual Todd!

Dubwise

Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:52 pm

Will you be offering full electronics to go with the head?

opcode66

Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:07 am

I had access to a Vinyl recorder head. I drew the body in AutoCad. This allowed me to align where its stylus holder was to mine. I could then derive proper measurements such that this pegged back connector will allow my head to fall perfectly on a Vinyl Recorder overhead.
VR Body.png
Photo Jan 24, 3 54 00 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 24, 3 54 06 AM.jpg
Here is the latest update video. I've created a transducer cover. I'll make the other tomorrow. Should take very little time now that I've perfected the machine operations (mops). More to come this week!

I'm also demonstrating a 3d printed fan attachment for my er11 nut. It is a simple passive way to keep the work and vise clear of chip while milling without having to run a shop vac or blower while working.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

opcode66

Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:16 am

I have a feedback summing preamp desing with VU Meters and IRIAA for Recording, phono preamp, 3 position channel selector for monitoring phono/feedback/inpu, all built into a 2U rack. I also offer a 3U rack which will have current meters, heat meters (using the same ac bridge circuitry as Nuemann), and relays on the drive connections with the same sort of tripping circuitry as neumann for heat protection on the coils.

Heating wire terminals? Yes.

Helium intake? Yes.

Same drive and feedback coil ratings as Neumann SX? Yes.

Same quality or better as Neumann SX? Yes. Very similar design but I've made mine my own too.

Full metal body? Yes. With one exception. The heating terminals are held by a piece of plastic to avoid shorting...

Inexpensive repairs? Yes. I've made the head very modular I can build up transducer internals almost entirely before a head would even arrive for recoiling.

Will I offer a dynamic version? Yes.

How is dynamic different than Feedback? You don't need extra gear. Not as accurate of a recording and more background noise. But, totally doable.

Any other questions?

Dubwise

Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:46 am

Nice. What about pricing? And availability.

2bitcomputer

Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:36 am

Could the dynamic head be upgraded later to be a feedback head?

opcode66

Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:03 am

As soon as I finish the first round of parts, and then make a second full metal body, only then will I have a full understanding of the cost in man hours and materials that are required to produce each body. That information will be used to determine a final price. So, I can't commit to any price at the moment. As soon as I can say the costs, then I will post solid pricing. I will definitely be posting here when computed. Availability will be based on two factors: if you signed up for my waiting list, you get first dibs. If you want to pay a premium, you can cut in line. After I serve all priority and queued patrons, I will try to maintain a certain level of stock of complete heads for anyone who else who may inquire.

Yes, the dynamic version can be converted to the feedback version due to the highly modular design. Two body parts would need to be replaced to support the feedback internals. But, otherwise, all of the rest of the body can be upgraded as is.

trailerparkjesus

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:52 am

How do I get on that waiting list? :D

Dubwise

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:31 am

Yes, how does one get on a waiting list or preorder?
I emailed a week ago and no reply, will your correspondence be like other DIY individuals. Will you actually provide customer service and respond.
I hope so, it’s one of the most important parts of selling a product and 90% of DIYers fail lol. :D

rubenr

Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:15 pm

opcode66 wrote:I had access to a Vinyl recorder head. I drew the body in AutoCad. This allowed me to align where its stylus holder was to mine. I could then derive proper measurements such that this pegged back connector will allow my head to fall perfectly on a Vinyl Recorder overhead.
VR Body.png
Photo Jan 24, 3 54 00 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 24, 3 54 06 AM.jpg
Here is the latest update video. I've created a transducer cover. I'll make the other tomorrow. Should take very little time now that I've perfected the machine operations (mops). More to come this week!

I'm also demonstrating a 3d printed fan attachment for my er11 nut. It is a simple passive way to keep the work and vise clear of chip while milling without having to run a shop vac or blower while working.

Hi Todd, can you up the file?
cheers mate