PETG with diamond

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

aaron

PETG with diamond

Thu May 23, 2019 9:28 am

I’d like to hear if any experiences you all have with PETG and diamond stylus. Supposedly this is what Souri blanks are, but I’m not positive. Has anyone here done comparisons with plain old PETG vs souri or Myshank blanks? Just curious, I have a bit of it laying around.

socialroots

Re: PETG with diamond

Fri May 24, 2019 6:59 am

I do have some good cuts with standard,easily available petg with diamonds,but the bad news i that after experimenting with these readily available petg and wearing out my diamonds way too fast,i just stopped fucking around n wasting time n money,bite the bullet and buy myshank diamonds to just cut myshank blanks. It always felt expensive to me.,not because of their listed prices but for the international shipping that ends up being quite substantial from France to my small.town in Taiwan.
After trying every way to source a suitable alternative but now dont even bother,cuz i came to the conclusion that myshank blanks r the best quality cuz of the results and lifespan of my diamond styli when used together. The diamond styli can cut pretty much any plastic, but the important detail is how good and how many cuts before that cheap piece of plastic is gonna chew up my diamond !
Hope i got my point across,
Maximum respect,
Patrick

alexsation

Fri May 24, 2019 8:50 am

Hello!!
Great theme! I have long wanted to ask a similar question. I use PETG transparent color, This is an excellent cutting material that sounds great. But there is a downside, my diamond serves 10-30 hours, at the moment when Steven promises 300 hours of diamonds.
Recently, I began to use white PETG (opal). Diamond resource reduced to 5 hours of operation, it’s like a drop in the ocean, but even this consumption of diamonds is more profitable for me than ordering transparent and white blanks from France, delivery is very expensive. Maybe someone will say that I'm crazy, but my work is very well debugged. And here is my question: Steven told me that there are people who use one diamond stylus for 300-400 hours. Share the secret, how to squeeze such a huge resource of work from the stylus?
I used to blame my old lathe because of the poor adjustment of pressure on the diamond, now I have a new machine with perfectly balanced and tuned pressure on the diamond, but unfortunately I could not get the result for more than 30 hours, this is because PETG is my main material for cutting???
Best regards, Alexey Sobolev.
http://www.vinylium.ru
http://shop.vinylium.ru

trailerparkjesus

Fri May 24, 2019 12:52 pm

Pretty sure all clear from who ever the supplier may be is PETG.... just not all PETG is created equal when it comes to the mirrored surface and evenness of the surface. Youll see on cheap PETG little pellets/pits that are diamond destroyers or just constant unevenness.

my two cents

aaron

Fri May 24, 2019 1:33 pm

Thanks for the info. Think I’ll just stick to the myshank blanks. They really are the best.

The Shank

Fri May 24, 2019 4:03 pm

alexsation wrote:Hello!!
Great theme! I have long wanted to ask a similar question. I use PETG transparent color, This is an excellent cutting material that sounds great. But there is a downside, my diamond serves 10-30 hours, at the moment when Steven promises 300 hours of diamonds.
Recently, I began to use white PETG (opal). Diamond resource reduced to 5 hours of operation, it’s like a drop in the ocean, but even this consumption of diamonds is more profitable for me than ordering transparent and white blanks from France, delivery is very expensive. Maybe someone will say that I'm crazy, but my work is very well debugged. And here is my question: Steven told me that there are people who use one diamond stylus for 300-400 hours. Share the secret, how to squeeze such a huge resource of work from the stylus?
I used to blame my old lathe because of the poor adjustment of pressure on the diamond, now I have a new machine with perfectly balanced and tuned pressure on the diamond, but unfortunately I could not get the result for more than 30 hours, this is because PETG is my main material for cutting???
Steven doesn’t promise anything, steven is just sharing his own results after years of research. Also many people cut more than that...on our blanks.
You are maybe the one who need so much stylus... so if your material is so good and you cut 10-30 hours this is still a good material?
Give me 5 minutes on your system... I’ll tell you what...I can promise this.
http://www.myshank.com

* Diamond cutting stylus officials/prototypes
* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

aaron

Fri May 24, 2019 4:07 pm

I can say that I’ve been using myshank blanks and needles, I have about 10 hours on a stylus and it’s still going strong... no noise whatsoever, no problems cutting. And I’ve had a couple head-drop accidents that haven’t even killed the diamond. It’s worth the shipping in my opinion. I was just asking because I have some PETG laying around, but after reading this I’m not going to bother with it.

socialroots

Sat May 25, 2019 7:04 am

Im sure off the shelf petg or pvc or any other readily purchased plastic sheets r not created with the intentions of people trying to cut audio recording on it,as trailerparkjesus stated way too many forms of imperfections from disc to disc,batch to batch from the manufacturing stage to ever get consistent results as a audio recording medium,now thats just the clear plastics,i dont know but something tells me that inorder to color plastic you gotta add in pigments,different chemicals for different colors,so my basic reasoning is the different additive gotta have some effect on the plastic as far as sound n difference in hardness
The difference in hardness between diffent sheets of plastics like petg r quite noticable,which ones r softer to cut on,least wear on your diamond? Well u dont know till u spend some time and styli life testing cuts,the proof is in the pudding. I feel i get what i pay for with myshank blanks n styli combo for cutting plastic,in hindsight not only did i loose alot time and wasted 4yrs and tons of plastic,but i paid to learn the hard way,but for me the knowledge gained in the lesson was valuable as well. These days its quite simple for me to know what to get and from who, if im gonna cut plastic with diamonds....then its Myshank, if im gonna emboss pc...then its Rich Flores made sapphire cones that i buy from Mike Dixon of PIAPTK. , if i want to cut actual lacquer discs... then its Sapphire and lacquers from Apollo. Easy!

Maximum respect,
patrick

SONARC

Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:46 pm

I have not done any cutting with diamonds yet, but I'm interested in the discussion about PETG as an alternative to poly, not because I've had any issues with poly, but because it doesn't hurt to expand one's horizons, I reckon. It was mentioned previously by trailerparkjesus that in cheap PETG there *may* be little pellets / pits which can be rough on diamonds or cause unevenness. With that in mind, is there a way to examine or analyze the material prior to cutting or embossing, in the hopes of being able to identify these unwanted artifacts?