Bone Record

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

BillyJoelShaver

Bone Record

Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:46 pm

Hi all. New here, hope this is relevant to this forum.

Bought some Soviet Era 'Bone Records' on EBay. They turned out to be fakes (way too clean to be old). But it got me thinking about cutting my own records. Bought a lathe and been experimenting.

Long story short, found an X-ray and made a 'Bone Record' today of my friends band.

Sounds like hell, but they never sound that great anyway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fredbissnette

Re: Bone Record

Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:36 am

That is gnarly
Instagram @styluspressurerecords

alexsation

Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:22 am

This is a very complex process, there are several technologies for cutting x-rays. In Russia there is a book in which various cutting technologies are described in detail.
Best regards, Alexey Sobolev.
http://www.vinylium.ru
http://shop.vinylium.ru

Jccc

Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:58 pm

that looks cool!

i have tried cutting on x-rays with sapphire and it was a nightmare. You have to use a diamond to get it to work right but even the swarf that comes up from cutting can get tangled around the stylus causing mess ups.

I think x rays in the old days probably were made of a different material then they are today?

RdF

Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:59 pm

Has anybody tried this with the VR? Seeing as it uses a diamond stylus, I thought I would ask.

More importantly: would you recommend trying this out? I'm specifically worried about swarf suction, I don't want it clogging or gumming up my vacuum tubes.

Any advice or comments are appreciated!
- Pablo (RdF Records)