V.T.A. / Stylus angle for cutting PVC

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

ilovedrums247

V.T.A. / Stylus angle for cutting PVC

Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:18 am

The topic has been discussed before a couple years ago, but i gather it was mostly for cutting laguers.

I'm wondering what's the best combination of angles to use in my DIY head, with the intention to eventually use a Mysank diamond, but in the meantime use a tungsten steel stylus in the process of cutting PVC blanks.

The myshank site very clearly states to use a 8° (max 10°) angle when cutting PVC

..but from what i've read Neumann uses a 8° slope in the cutterhead mount and another 7° in the torque tube to achieve a 15° Vertical tracking angle, in line with the industry standard of between 15-20° for cutting lacquer discs.

An older post from Flokason mentioned selling torque tubes with and without a stylus angle. I would take this to mean that you could cut PVC at the Neumann 8° slope and a torque tube without the additional 7°

So, is it correct to assume cutting PVC forgoes the traditional 15-20° VTA and instead opts for 8° cutting rake?

Any clarity is greatly appreciated