Custom Mono Head (Am I even doing this right?)

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Kat

Custom Mono Head (Am I even doing this right?)

Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:34 pm

Hello! I’m thinking of building a mono head, possibly to slap onto a General Industries/Recordio turntable but before I get too involved, am I doing this right?

I have a computer speaker, a cone in the form of a wire nut and a nail (which will eventually be replaced with a way of holding a needle) and alligator clip to hold the needle towards the end. Am I missing anything important, and will this actually record?
AD6BED68-B87A-481C-A17A-70951A670B0A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tragwag

Re: Custom Mono Head (Am I even doing this right?)

Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:49 pm

im not a head buiilder or anything but I think you want the speaker to fire in the direction of the cut.
so instead of having a right angle between the nail and the speaker, you want the nail essentially in the middle of the cone
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Kat

Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:16 am

tragwag wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:49 pm
im not a head buiilder or anything but I think you want the speaker to fire in the direction of the cut.
so instead of having a right angle between the nail and the speaker, you want the nail essentially in the middle of the cone
Interesting. I had always assumed that would create an Edison style hill and dale but if I look at this custom stereo head, it’s 45 degrees but the needle is more in line with the coils.
231CAF97-C4DA-420C-888D-54E6BF7901F4.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tragwag

Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:32 pm

oh! it might very well do a hill and dale, but I'm not sure if that's reliably playable with modern record players.
could be a fun experiment!
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

markrob

Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:58 pm

Hi,

You can play back a hill and dale recording with a stereo pickup if you flip the polarity of one channel and sum both to to mono. You will get some output from either channel since they respond to the vertical and lateral groove movement even if you don't sum them (just reduced level and with more noise). However, if you are designing a DIY head for playback on anything modern, you want to cut lateral. You are on the right track if you want to cut Edison cylinders or Diamond disc records.

That DIY head is using piezo elements rather than coils. You can make that style head cut stereo as it matches the 45/45 standard or mono lateral and hill and dale depending on the polarity of the the two channels.

Mark