A random thought for people who love to experiment

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

SquirrelMonkey

A random thought for people who love to experiment

Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:36 pm

The demo scene group TRSI made in 2014 a sound file that contains a music video and music (the left speaker is the music, the right speaker is for oscilloscope-input (x-y mode). This is the result:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVdWxKZVYC0

Today I tried to record an old school BASIC program on a record (see video).
Some computers from the early 80s could store software on a tape with the speed of 1200 baud (downloading just one megabyte would take almost two hours). That means that it takes around 28 seconds to transfer for instance 4372 bytes of data and that is the size of a simple midi file of 1:30 minutes. I can imagine a lot of funny experiments with this. Bands could add a track with the lyrics of the entire album, for instance.

Are there people with other experimental ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kat

Re: A random thought for people who love to experiment

Sun May 23, 2021 2:46 am

Absolutely, I’ve thought about encoding snippets of data and even slow scanning TV records containing images.

I tried SSTV once but it’s really hard to get the frequency right.

dmills

Re: A random thought for people who love to experiment

Sun May 23, 2021 5:35 pm

If doing SSTV, cut vertical at 33+1/3 lines per minute..... Probably do 4 frames alternating around the disk. Then illuminate the disk with a strong light.
I wonder if you could cut the still image vertical with a mono soundtrack cut horizontal? Play it back in mono and the image content should be severely attenuated leaving a rather noisy mono sound track?

Actually I might try that, I can get a sync pulse out of the lathe motor servo amplifier easily enough.