Lockdown turntable and lathe - a DIY project

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

inspector77

Re: Lockdown turntable and lathe - a DIY project

Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:31 am

Some Updates:

grooveguy

Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:45 am

Very nice, Mr. Inspector! I really like the methodical and well-documented way you have approached this. If the sonic results are at least halfway the equal of the cosmetics, you will have a real winner... and one that can be duplicated by other dedicated Trolls. Many thanks!

inspector77

Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:29 am

Thank you very much for your kind words, I will try to document the process as best as possible in case it helps other members of the forum. It will be a slow but highly rewarding process.
Regards

pentlandsound

Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:36 am

Even though I say it myself (and with a certain sense of déjà vu), this is looking great! Thanks for photo-documenting your construction process in such detail.

David

jsthomps

Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:50 am

Can anyone provide the Vinyl Burn installation binary for Windows?
Thanks,
Scott

pentlandsound

Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:41 pm

Hi,
Be aware that the Vinyl Burn program and its companion Arduino sketch may not work properly (if at all) without some rework to reflect your own lathe system's configuration. For what it's worth, I've added the Windows setup files to the GitHub repository in https://github.com/dn784533/vinyl_burn/tree/master/Setup%20Vinyl%20Burn/Release

David

farmersplow

Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:06 pm

Hello "SIR INSPECTOR"

Your work and documentation is extraordinary and beautiful. The professionalism of the components created is fascinating and executed to the smallest detail. I have been following your post for some time and am always impressed with the picture documentation.
Keep up the good work! - I'm already very excited about how it goes further with your project. I can well understand what effort the planning and implementation and the documentation means.

Therefore, once again: You do it perfectly!

Greetings from Austria
Thomas

jsthomps

Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:34 pm

pentlandsound wrote:
Hi,
For what it's worth, I've added the Windows setup files to the GitHub repository in https://github.com/dn784533/vinyl_burn/tree/master/Setup%20Vinyl%20Burn/Release

David
Thanks for adding the setup files. Just curious what is the difference between the two files?

jsthomps

Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:26 pm

Can you tell me where I can source these collars?
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pentlandsound

Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:48 am

jsthomps wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:34 pm
pentlandsound wrote:
Hi,
For what it's worth, I've added the Windows setup files to the GitHub repository in https://github.com/dn784533/vinyl_burn/tree/master/Setup%20Vinyl%20Burn/Release

David
Thanks for adding the setup files. Just curious what is the difference between the two files?
This link perhaps explains it better than I could: https://www.pdq.com/blog/msi-vs-exe-the-battle-of-the-installers/

jsthomps

Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:03 am

"This link perhaps explains it better than I could: https://www.pdq.com/blog/msi-vs-exe-the-battle-of-the-installers/"

Thanks David

farmersplow

Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:46 pm

jsthomps wrote:
Thanks
Something like that?
Download.jpg
If you surch in google under "modellbau stellring 1mm" you will find a lot. I hope there is something usable. Best in the field of model making or RC.

Greetings from Austria
Thomas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jsthomps

Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:47 pm

farmersplow wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:46 pm
jsthomps wrote:
Thanks
Something like that?
Download.jpg

If you surch in google under "modellbau stellring 1mm" you will find a lot. I hope there is something usable. Best in the field of model making or RC.

Greetings from Austria
Thomas
Thanks Thomas … greetings from Canada

basssss

Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:45 pm

Hi all !. Very impressive work.. I'm trying to build this lathe too. Please, Anyone have the schematic and wirings for Sensors, IC inverter, LCD and stepper motor to arduino ?.

Thank you very much !. I will post pictures soon !.

Greetings from Spain.

Manuel.

pentlandsound

Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:05 am

Somewhere I think I have a hand-drawn schematic for the wiring that I used for the Arduino/driver and limit sensor/IC circuit. I'll attempt to find and scan it this weekend!

basssss

Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:51 am

Thank you very much !.
I'm trying to get the electronics to work, but the motor won't move and the LCD doesn't show anything. I don't know if it's because the sensors are necessary for the software to work, or if I'm not making the connections correctly. I sent you a private message yesterday, thank you very much for your work, it's amazing and very inspiring. Please, if you don't have the schematics, could you take some pictures of the boards to see the connections?.

Thank you very much again, greetings !.

Manuel.

pentlandsound

Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:37 am

Well, I've found it. This is my hand-drawn diagram for the linear rail controller circuit of my lathe. It is designed for stripboard, with the strips running left-to-right. The view shown is of the top of the board.
LR_controller_circuit.png
As I drew the diagram for my own benefit rather than anyone else's, and the drawing conventions are highly unconventional, some explanations may help.

The red X's are where the strip tracks on the back need to be broken.

The TMC2208 stepper driver is orientated so that the motor output pins are to the right. Mine is connected to the board via a 16-pin 'protector' unit.

The 74HC14 inverter is orientated so that pins 8-14 are to the right.

The black oblong boxes, all one point wide, are headers. You can use pins or sockets, whichever you prefer. Going down the LHS of the diagram:
- TMC2208 power input is marked '24V' but I found that 9 - 12V does fine for my motor. Connect the header to the motor driver pins directly, using stout wires rather than relying on the strips.
- The thermistor circuit is optional. If you use this part, connect a 20K thermistor to the two header pins.
- The 5V supply input is used to power the logic chips.
- The next eight pins connect to the Arduino. The Arduino pins are numbered in green and mostly* correspond to the pins used in my Arduino sketch (* Since drawing this diagram I seem to have swapped pins 3 and 4 in the sketch: pin 3 is direction, pin 4 step.)
To avoid cluttering things I've used letters to indicate where wired connections must be made:
Z, Y, X, W, V - to pins of TMC2208.
U, T - to pins 2 and 12, respectively, of 74HC14.
S - to thermistor.
- The next five pins are connected to an optional "status panel". This panel would be equipped with two indicator LEDs (one for each of the Low/High limit switches on the linear rail) and an on-off switch for (also optional) LEDs mounted inside the cutter head. Note that the 5V pin is an output from this board to the switch on the panel; the switched supply comes back on the pin below.
- The two 3-pin headers adjacent to the panel headers are for powering the Arduino (and the LCD circuit if you're using one).

The other 3-pin headers near the middle of the diagram are connected to the two photo-interrupters which serve as limit switches on the linear rail. Note that your photo-interrupters must be equipped with the appropriate resistors.

The single 3-pin header at the RHS of the diagram is for connecting optional LEDs (for example, for illuminating the inside of the cutter head). Connect R and Q next to the header to the 470 ohm resistors in the lower right corner.

I would reiterate that I originally scribbled this diagram for my own guidance only: it, like everything else, is supplied here under Creative Commons and without warranty of any kind. Please let me know if you find any errors!

basssss

Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:57 pm

Thank you very much David !. Very helpfull !!.
I'll keep you update of my progress !.

Greetings,

Manuel.