Another DIY Lathe Build - After advice please

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Naboo

Another DIY Lathe Build - After advice please

Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:46 am

Hey all

Been chipping away at a lathe build for a while now...
First was a lot of time spent making stereo dynamic heads. onto a winner with V3 ;)

Now for the rest of the machine...
This is how it's looking so far

Lathe Build at 15-07-21.jpg

Currently at the stage of working out locations for everything before having an alloy base plate made
Basing most of the design around a T-560, Just seems like such a simple, yet well thought out design...

If anyone can help please with some info on the actual head mounting system please;

- Think I've seen people on here testing airpots, do they compare at all to the original oil filled dashpot ??
- The lever to drop the head.. Is this actually a mechanism, or does the lever just pull over and act as a small weight on the head ?

Also, any recommendations for the type of vacuum to use ?

T.I.A :D
B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MEGAMIKE

Re: Another DIY Lathe Build - After advice please

Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:26 am

please don't copy "exactly" the VR,as its still in production. I understand the head as we have all done this as backup if it blows in between jobs and old presto parts etc . .thankyou..

Naboo

Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:43 am

of course :) I have a lot of respect for Souri's engineering

not copying exactly, just intrigued by a few functionality related things, so I can come up with an alternate design (which won't be for production, just my own lathe)

dmills

Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:26 am

Are you sure that Ignus slide is going to be quiet enough? I have one of those and find that the noise level when running it at any speed can be disturbingly high, I suggest you try manually finding on a worst case spiral and making sure it does not raise the noise floor objectionably.
I would suggest mounting it under the 3090 or whatever that extrusion is such that slide is substantially protected from dust.

As to the head suspension box, really depends on how the other bits of your architecture work, but I would advocate for the head lift lever applying a force (possibly by tensioning a spring) such that the damping is always effective for all movements. That way it should not be possible to drop the head onto the disk if you fumble the lever.

Naboo

Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:22 am

Hoping it will be.. everything else I've come across uses Ball screws, ball bearing slides, etc.. which I figured may be noisy
and didn't want to try piecing together a standalone lead screw, guides, etc, and possibly encounter alignment issues..

These IGUS ones have precise lead screws, and the nut is a self lubricating plastic.. but my plan is to lubricate it anyway just to make it as low friction / quiet as possible.
they recommend using a lithium mineral oil based grease, so will give that a try..
These units also give a good amount of adjustment to how tight the end bearings are, so should be able to further reduce friction by backing them off the tiniest amount.
Also planning to put a dust cover over it, so hopefully it stays clean :)

Sounds like a good idea ! Will look into possible ways to do that
any examples would be greatly appreciated if you know of similar setups :)

Cheers