Air spindles

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

evildrome

Air spindles

Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:18 am

Hi All,

I recently made an air spindle for another purpose (tool & cutter grinder) but I hear that they were used in record lathes.

Now that I've made one I could fit it to my Neumann VMS70 project but aren't they a massive source of white noise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otwqjbgnxqw

Cheers,

Wilson.

Dogtemple

Re: Air spindles

Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:25 am

well done thats awesome, is it made with graphite?

I was looking at doing this for a tangential tone arm on a turntable but put it on hold.

if the sound of the air doesn't transfer to the cutter head it should be ok?

what pump did you use for this?

dmills

Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:44 am

I thought the usual way of doing this was to blow the oil out of a sintered bronze bushing and then to run the shaft thru the middle with the air applied to the outside of the bronze sleeve.
Basically take an oilite bushing, use hot water, detergent and compressed air to force most of the lube out and then use air instead.

But yea, definitely universal grinder rather then lathe territory to finish the machining.

I am not at all sure they are a win in a record lathe, but could maybe see a magnetic affair constrained in one dimension by a sapphire ball or suchlike, (you demonstrably cannot build passive magnetic bearing that does not need at least one axis of constraint) as being something that could work.

I would note that a VMS 70 dynamically modulates depth of cut anyway, so for sub 10Hz or so there is little point in trying for ultimately low bearing noise because the depth controller will dominate.

evildrome

Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:02 pm

Thanks for the comments guys.

It's made of brass. Bored 16mm, lapped & polished, cross drilled with two rows of four, 4 thou holes, about a half inch from each end.

The compressor is a very old Binks Bullows :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265197028203?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&toolid=10050&campid=5338358731&customid=Cj0KCQjwkIGKBhCxARIsAINMioIkRca4OK5ExR7S9pcGpFIHtOsshe9OtHnPTuA5FyVGWyVJzt_UswQaApz4EALw_wcB

I did not know that the VMS 70 dynamically modulates depth of cut. That's interesting.