Warped blank records

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Obz15

Warped blank records

Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:15 am

Hi all!

I have a question if someone has the same problems with recently purchased  blank records.

Recently I purchased 200 black blank records from Souri. I Immediately noticed that they were warped pretty hard. After many tests with less heat, more heath, leaving them horizontal on the flat surface and so on, but nothing helps.

Ofc there is no problem when I record the first side which is always OK. but when I try to record the second side the record just won't flaten and there is no chance to record it because it jumps so hard.

I wrote to Souir and told him the problems I have. I even sent him dozens of photos and video. His response was that I am the first with this problem and that he checked the records he has and noticed slight warp but nothing unrecordable.

After a few days I received another email which was no doubt sent to all his customers about "summer records" and how to flatten them. I just think that is just a bad product/series, because I didn't have any problems with the blanks since 2017 on.

Is there a way to flatten them properly because for me it seems that nothing works?

Does MyShank have the same "summer records" problem?

What is the biggest difference between the Souris and MyShank records? Is the sound and longevity of the records about the same?

I added a few photos and a video.

Thank you for all your help and answers!

Kind regards,
Obz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MEGAMIKE

Re: Warped blank records

Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:29 am

they have been sitting in a hot truck, airport tarmac floor etc or both

Obz15

Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:10 am

Is there a way to flatten them because I am out of ideas what to do?

MEGAMIKE

Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:00 am

no..you can cheat by taping the record down on the edges of the plater when you cut but in the end the record will still be warped..from memory I setup another light and that helped got it up to 55c.and did the 10 4 with my hands/fingers to hold it down for 5mins pushing down slightly while turntable is still moving..,dont tighten the puck until you have flatted as much as you can.
petg warps at 55c/60c pressed records warp at 40c...

tragwag

Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:34 am

there's another thread somewhere, but it helped me get a seed propagation mat. basically a heat mat you can stack a bunch of records on top and the bottom few will warm up.
it's safe to leave on for a long time, and just the right amount of heat.
I got this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/173665485506?var=473966130043
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com