Djing with acrylic discs

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Oldskoolhousehead

Djing with acrylic discs

Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:51 am

Hello all. I wasn't sure where to open this topic, so I hope that it's ok to write in here. Well, I have a basic DJ setup and a small record collection, but I'm not a DJ officially (not yet). I don't want to ruin or lose my precious records while travelling, so I want to have lathe cut copies of my favorite tracks. Cast acrylic discs seem a good candidate to me (they come in different colors unlike regular PETG). I don't know if they are suitable for cueing and back cueing, however. I'll be glad if someone gives his/her opinion about it. Thank you.

tragwag

Re: Djing with acrylic discs

Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:48 am

the general consensus is acrylic can be cut but it wears the stylus down much faster, something like 3-4 discs per diamond stylus.
whereas the PETG with diamond can be cut 80-100 hours regularly
the wear makes acrylic unsustainable
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

boryo

Re: Djing with acrylic discs

Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:36 pm

Find someone that's CUTTING records rather than EMBOSSING if you want to DJ with them. I would not pay attention to colours since the music comes from the groove no mater what colour is it :) If you wonder if they are ok for DJ-ing - yes, they are. I sell my records all over the world mostly to DJs and not a single complain and I mean scratch heavy DJs. Good luck!