Marathon for the development of a DIY cutter in 20 days (and the opening of the first record cutting service in Ukraine)

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

diy_cutter

Re: Marathon for the development of a DIY cutter in 20 days (and the opening of the first record cutting service in Ukra

Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:16 pm

Thomas, Alfred - thank you for your support, it is very important!

By the way, today, during experiments, the tweeters in the cutting head burned out for the first time. I started a 20Hz-20kHz sweep tone, and the level on the amplifier was at maximum. Smoke and puff, the speakers are in the trash!

farmersplow

Re: Marathon for the development of a DIY cutter in 20 days (and the opening of the first record cutting service in Ukra

Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:49 pm

I think we should all hold a minute's silence now. When something painful like this happens, it's like a punch in the gut, you have to put your hands to your head and pull your hair out (if you still have any). But tomorrow is a new day and God willing, one day the sun will shine again and you will have replaced the charred remains of the coil winding with shiny new ones. And the next test can begin. All the best!
Thomas

diy_cutter

Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:19 pm

Thank you, we have more than a dozen spare speakers! Tomorrow we plan to start collecting a new copy. While in the same form, the design is functional. The main forces were devoted to the development of their diamond cutters. We already have good results. I'll be sure to post information later.

Alfred

Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:31 am

diy_cutter wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:19 pm
Thank you, we have more than a dozen spare speakers! Tomorrow we plan to start collecting a new copy. While in the same form, the design is functional. The main forces were devoted to the development of their diamond cutters. We already have good results. I'll be sure to post information later.
Hi,
I don't know what type of speakers you are using, but from what I have seen the tweeters Pioneer TS-A300TW-3/4 works between 14 Hz to 69 khz, and gives peaks of 400 watts. Regarding the needle diamond, I am eager to know more about the results

Alfred

diy_cutter

Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:31 pm

We continue and have restored our laboratory. We replaced the linear drive with another one, and now the player is a new Technics SL-1500C. No torque tweak yet.

We modified our cutting head a little. The speakers have been completely rebuilt, the diffusers have been re-glued, and the gaps have been smoothed out. Initially, all the inexpensive speakers that we came across had extremely low build quality (crookedly installed magnets, incorrect gaps, diffusers and coils glued incompletely or at an angle). All of them require improvement.

We have made the first cuts, but there is nothing to brag about yet. We get L/R channel penetration. We also finally added fuses to protect the speakers and have already burned out about 20 of them :D . Separate fuses for each channel. First we tried high-speed ones at 850mA, then switched to 1A. They are much cheaper.

Later I’ll tell you about our experiments with diamond sharpening.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

farmersplow

Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:43 pm

Nice to hear from you again, and that it continues! Small steps are also steps and ultimately lead to the goal.
Many years ago, when I was faced with a seemingly unsolvable task (as a manager in the automotive industry) because the overall scope was too large and confusing, a wise old manager said the following to me:
You can't eat a whole elephant in one go. Divide it into small pieces and eat one at a time. At some point it will be eaten away.
I still think about that today.
It's great that you're carrying on, even if the circumstances are difficult.
Thomas