Professional vinyl record lathe step by step

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

zdenek

Professional vinyl record lathe step by step

Tue May 02, 2023 4:34 pm

Hello everyone !
What conditions must be met for a professional vinyl record lathe recorder?At the moment I don't even have any idea where to start to do something like this so that the lathe can record discs similar to this recording on you tube.
Sorry for the English language, I use google translate so not everything can be understood by me or by you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhkgDXWZlwY

zdenek

Re: Professional vinyl record lathe step by step

Wed May 03, 2023 4:01 am

base ?

zdenek

Wed May 03, 2023 11:34 am

Is this an american machine? ,I like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1be_zGcvtU

tragwag

Wed May 03, 2023 11:43 am

zdenek wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 11:34 am
Is this an american machine? ,I like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1be_zGcvtU
yeah! that's a Scully machine, made in Bridgeport CT, USA
it's my understanding they stopped making lathes around the early 70s, and started making tape recorders
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

tragwag

Wed May 03, 2023 11:46 am

zdenek wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 4:01 am
base ?
I like to break lathes down to three over-arching sections.
1. turntable - spins the blank, must be very high running torque, usually heavy platter
2. overhead/pitch system - moves the cutting head across the disc, either fixed pitch or automatic varied pitch with computer
3. audio path - the components comprised of your audio source, processing, amplifier and cutterhead

zdenek

Wed May 03, 2023 11:49 am

Thank you, sounds very nice, how much can such a Professional Scully Bridgeport CT machine weigh, Made in the USA?

tragwag

Wed May 03, 2023 4:40 pm

not sure! my guess is over 500 pounds

zdenek

Fri May 05, 2023 7:38 pm

Thank you. I went to the factory today that makes various machines and asked if the engineers would make me such a machine from scratch based on the pictures I showed them. technical conditions and technical parameters that must be met by the machine that they have to make for me.
Such technical conditions, for example:
1 machine body material
2 machine rigidity
3 power platter drive unit
4 maximum machine noise level
5 load capacity, etc

zdenek

Fri May 05, 2023 7:43 pm

and I replied to the engineers that I don't know anything except that the machine weighs 500 pounds and I only have pictures of the machine

zdenek

Fri May 05, 2023 7:46 pm

and what should i do now?Gentlemen, I will pay money for any information about this Skully machine, I don't want anything for free.

tragwag

Tue May 09, 2023 11:06 am

go see one in person first! and read here on the forum about people who've built their own.
Sillitoe, Flo Kauffman, and Jesus Agnew are the folks I know building pro level lathes out there.

zdenek

Mon May 15, 2023 2:45 pm

Thank you

boryo

Tue May 16, 2023 3:25 am

I don't want to sounds rude but to me it looks like you may have no idea what you are asking about. I would suggest to read this topic multiple times until you completely understand and realise what's written there https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8328

Going to random engineering company and asking to create you a machine is a bit risky if they don't know what they are doing. Keep in mind that people like Sillitoe where in this forum for some time before they decided to create a machine and maybe 5-6 years later they started offering it for sale, so this is not an easy task and may loose your money. If you don't want to do professional job there are many other options but the most important is that you know what you want to do first.

Good luck,
Bob

farmersplow

Tue May 16, 2023 9:31 am

zdenek wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:47 am
thank you, is that it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBe3mUnsluA
No, this is Farmers Plow

zdenek

Tue May 16, 2023 10:16 am

Thank you. I understand, farmers' plow, this is a blade that cuts the varnish plate, but why do people write that you don't plow the field, you only dent or press the field?

farmersplow

Tue May 16, 2023 7:52 pm

Hello zdenek,
I thought about answering because you are (pardon the expression) very far from the knowledge and experience to implement such a project.
Nevertheless, I would like to explain it to you:
1. both cutting and embedding is possible for sound generation (with different qualities).

a. Cutting
_06 Schneiden (cutting).png
b.Embedding
_05 Drücken (Embedding).png

2. such a project is possible (everything is possible). With enough money and time it can be done.

3. rebuilding a Scully cutting machine would cost a small fortune just because of the production of the molds. Also the production of the motors and spindle drives seems to me to be very expensive. I estimate about half a million for the first machine. The other machines would probably cost a few hundred thousand to build. And then you still don't have a cutting head! (Scully took the one from Westrex).

4. nowadays the production of such a machine would be much too expensive, because the working times have increased a lot compared to 1970.

5. when these machines were built, the number of records sold was about 10 times as high as today. I'm afraid that no one would spend so much money on a cutting machine with the state of the art from 1980.

6. my suggestion would be to build a machine with today's technology and manufacturing capabilities. But you have to learn a lot. - First of all, take the advice of others and, as boryo wrote, read the "Newbie Starter Guide" and try to understand it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zdenek

Wed May 17, 2023 12:09 pm

Thank you very much for a very professional lecture!
I explained to my friends engineers producing various machines such as metal lathes, milling machines, grinders, etc. how things are in machines for recording vinyl records and I received the following answer: modern machines have nothing to do with professional machines that record gramophone records and what parameters they must meet to achieve the required results.
For example, due to the fact that motors in modern machines are usually multi-phase stepper, which are very noisy, ball guides are used and very rarely sliding guides, which are expensive to make but very quiet in movement, constructional steels are used for the base structure but very rarely cast iron, which is expensive to cast nowadays, and old machines were based on these materials, which are perfect for the construction of precision machines such as vinyl recorders etc.
However, one of the engineers offered me an experimental option based on the materials and devices available on the market today, and he will make some components for a symbolic euro out of his own curiosity whether the experiment will be positive or negative at all.
I understood the matter of pressing and cutting records, these are two different types of recording, one cuts the chip with a knife [cutting] the second dents the material with a knife, and, according to the engineer, this denting requires ten times more power of the knife to obtain the same depth of the gramophone groove than in the case of cutting it knife in accordance with the art of machining, it is associated with serious difficulties in obtaining the appropriate power of the ultra-silent motor drive and the mechanical modulator, which is the 3D cutting and recording head, besides, the geometry of pressing the disc through the use of an inverted knife will most likely change the fidelity of the signal during its playback on the turntable in the case of pressing of course, not cutting, cutting is ok and correct and will not introduce multiple repetitions of the same saved point, which leads to echoes and fidelity errors during pressing. I don't understand it fully, but this is how I try to translate it, is it true what do my engineers say?

zdenek

Thu May 25, 2023 3:23 pm

anyone tried? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keoVENYhyYY
GZ_Media_1100width_01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.