MiVoice Copper Records - Fibre Needles - Playable?

Turntables, tonearms, preamps, amps, cables, monitor speakers. What do you use to play back your one-off dubplates or pressed records? (related topics, too.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

hardtoe

MiVoice Copper Records - Fibre Needles - Playable?

Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:37 pm

Hey Y'all,

First post here - glad to be on board.

I have a question that needs an expert answer.

Does anyone know anything about records which want to be played with Mivoice or Fibre needles?

I got a couple of old discs which I believe are voice recordings of a clients aunt - she wants me to transfer them to digital, but I am not sure if they will harm my record players needle?

Here are some pics of the discs - they appear to be cut into a copper plate?

(I have to link to a public download for the photo cause I dont know how to attach em here)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15102805/Mivoice.zip

Thanks a bunch

mossboss

Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:41 pm

Hey welcome on board
Ok here is what you can do
Pull back the weight on your tone arm to .25-1 gram Than you can play away
We use regular Stanton cartridge/styli to play back metal positive masters of nickel at 2.5 Grams
Nickel is much harder than copper so use as little weight as possible
I dont think any harm will be done to your stylus at all unless there is corrosion in the grooves
If so use some diluted liquid silver polish say 50/50 with water apply it with a fine brush so it gets in the grooves
Follow the instructions on the silver polish can
You need to make sure no residue is left from the polish, do not rub to hard dont use a rug May be some damp cotton wool However A small artists brush will be fine
Once you got the corrossion off you can wash them with clean luke warm water dry them and play away
If the sound is OK fine if the stylus is jumping add another .25-.5 of a gram weight at a time until it stays in the groove
You will get whats in there with no harm at all
No big deal really just go real easy on the weight of the cartridge on the recording
If the groove is clean you can wet it with a some clean water while it is played back as well It acts as a lubricant and it prevents any damage to the groove or stylus
These where never any more than a recorder of sorts Definetely no Hi Fi so wind down your expectations and do expect plenty of hiss
I hope this helps
Cheers
Cheers
Chris

hardtoe

Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:07 pm

Mossboss,

Thanks so much for the reply.

I will get cleaning and try em out with the settings you recommend.

I'll report back what happens.

Cheers

mossboss

Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:13 am

You ll be Fine my friend
Be nice to hear back your results any way
Cheers
Chris