Site is down and up and down and....

Announcements and discussions ABOUT the site. Info on registering, ideas for improvement, FAQs and the like.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Steve E.
Site Admin

Site is down and up and down and....

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:15 pm

Dear all,

Apologies. Bluehost shut the site down for "excessive activity" yesterday, without ANY warning. I got a reprieve for 24 hours, which is probably not enough time to finish addressing whatever problems are going on.

It may be that the site has become popular enough that it needs to go to a dedicated server. Which costs 3x more per year, and which the fundraiser thus far will not cover by any stretch. I'm going to try to avoid that.

Please know, if it goes down again tomorrow, everything is backed up and it will come back soon enough. Thanks for your understanding and patience.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Re: Site is down and up and down and....

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:38 pm

A couple of updates:

1) I have had to block some specific IP's, and some IP ranges, which were causing problems. I am hoping I read the data appropriately and acted correctly. One program claimed that 10's of thousands of hits were coming from a single IP in Tacoma Washington. Others were coming from a range of IP's in Hong Kong. There there were other random ones in Austria, etc.

I hope I didn't accidentally block any of our users who happened to be sharing an IP range with the spambots. Please contact me if you can't access the site.

2) Behind the scenes, I am very close to finishing with the site upgrade. Or at least, close enough for it to go live. It will be a little ugly, clumsy and glitchy, and I will do more finessing of it after it is up. Given that the site was taken down my my hosting company last week, I don't want to delay this any further. So, we may go down without much ceremony or notice sometime in the next week. Hopefully, this will only last a few hours.

Everything is backed up. If things glitch out, I can fix 'em.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Re: Site is down and up and down and....

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:40 pm

A couple of updates:

1) I have had to block some specific IP's, and some IP ranges, which were causing problems. I am hoping I read the data appropriately and acted correctly. One program claimed that 10's of thousands of hits were coming from a single IP in Tacoma Washington. (w o w r a c k) Others were coming from a range of IP's in Hong Kong. There there were other random ones in Austria, etc.

I hope I didn't accidentally block any of our users who happened to be sharing an IP range with the spambots. Please contact me if you can't access the site.

2) Behind the scenes, I am very close to finishing with the site upgrade. Or at least, close enough for it to go live. It will be a little ugly, clumsy and glitchy, and I will do more finessing of it after it is up. Given that the site was taken down by my hosting company last week, I don't want to delay this any further. So, we may go down without much ceremony or notice sometime in the next week. Hopefully, this will only last a few hours.

3) I am not even sure if Tapatalk is working correctly any more. BUT.... I may have to let it go, soon, because it is incompatible with a plug-in I want to add to the site. The site is fully "responsive" at this point (mobile phone compatible), and you should be able to access it in other ways. If you feel STRONGLY that I should keep Tapatalk access, feel free to campaign in this thread.

Everything is backed up. If things glitch out, I can fix 'em.