Funny Disc Cutting Stories... We All Have One!

Who are you? Tell us about yourself, get feedback, and provide links to your work.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Aussie0zborn

Funny Disc Cutting Stories... We All Have One!

Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:54 am

Watching Dr Dub drink beer while cutting records reminded me of this story.

I had a rock band in to cut a record. Their first question was, "do you have any beer?" to which I replied, "no, sorry". As I wound their tape onto the Telenfunken M15A magnetophon, one of them asked about beer again. Not impressed, I said "no - we have no beer". So the other guy (probably the drummer) says,"there is a pub down the street, we'll go and get some beer - don't start cutting yet!". I told them there would be NO DRINKING BEER in the cutting room!!!!!!!! So, the next guy says, "no problem, do you have any dope?". I made it known I wasn't impressed and that I didn't drink beer or smoke dope and that there would be NO BEER DRINKING and NO POT SMOKING in the f****ing cutting room!

At the end of the session, they asked where they could buy some dope in the area. Not wanting to sound like the prude I clearly was, I quickly remembered the Sandringham Hotel a popular rock music venue and suggested they drive up there, but I couldn't be sure they would get dope there as I had no idea about such things.

A week later these dudes came in the get their test pressings. "So, you dont know where we could get dope from around here, huh?" What??!!! "You said you didn't know where to get dope and you sent us to the Sando. "Umm, yes... did you get any?", I asked politely. "Yes, there was a guy waiting for us at the front door and before we even walked in he asked if we wanted to by some dope!. He said he was a friend of yours".

"What???!! A friend of mine? I dont know people who sell dope. What made you think he was a friend of mine?" "We had a beer together and told him we just cut a record down the road, to which he replied 'with Aussie - ah yes he is a good friend of mine' "

To this day I have no idea who the dope dealer was but the band thought I was a beer drinking pot head that doesn't admit to it and not the super straight dude I portrayed!!

cymbalism

Re: Funny Disc Cutting Stories... We All Have One!

Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:17 pm

Aussie0zborn wrote:Watching Dr Dub drink beer while cutting records reminded me of this story.

I had a rock band in to cut a record. Their first question was, "do you have any beer?" to which I replied, "no, sorry". As I wound their tape onto the Telenfunken M15A magnetophon, one of them asked about beer again. Not impressed, I said "no - we have no beer". So the other guy (probably the drummer) says,"there is a pub down the street, we'll go and get some beer - don't start cutting yet!". I told them there would be NO DRINKING BEER in the cutting room!!!!!!!! So, the next guy says, "no problem, do you have any dope?". I made it known I wasn't impressed and that I didn't drink beer or smoke dope and that there would be NO BEER DRINKING and NO POT SMOKING in the f****ing cutting room!

At the end of the session, they asked where they could buy some dope in the area. Not wanting to sound like the prude I clearly was, I quickly remembered the Sandringham Hotel a popular rock music venue and suggested they drive up there, but I couldn't be sure they would get dope there as I had no idea about such things.

A week later these dudes came in the get their test pressings. "So, you dont know where we could get dope from around here, huh?" What??!!! "You said you didn't know where to get dope and you sent us to the Sando. "Umm, yes... did you get any?", I asked politely. "Yes, there was a guy waiting for us at the front door and before we even walked in he asked if we wanted to by some dope!. He said he was a friend of yours".

"What???!! A friend of mine? I dont know people who sell dope. What made you think he was a friend of mine?" "We had a beer together and told him we just cut a record down the road, to which he replied 'with Aussie - ah yes he is a good friend of mine' "

To this day I have no idea who the dope dealer was but the band thought I was a beer drinking pot head that doesn't admit to it and not the super straight dude I portrayed!!
quality! :wink:
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

MEGAMIKE

Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:06 am

..sorry to change subject as i have to tell this story...
in 94/95 i was djing at a house party in fremantle west oz .the house was packed and there would have been 500 people there , me and jo19 were djing in the bathroom ontop of a washer and dryer over looking the backyard. i was playing and chatting up this girl nealing down going through my record collection crapin on and on after a while i looked up and she was not there anymore and at that same moment on the other side of my body i felt a warm splash and looked around and this dude was pissin on my arm....hahahahaahahahaha it wasnt funny at the time but hahahaahahahahahaah i guess he didnot like my music..

philbrown

Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:12 pm

In the early 80s I worked for Warner Bros at Amigo and was booked one day on a session with a very important WB artist whose name I won't say but he is associated with the color purple.
said artist showed up and proceeded to stand in the corner of the studio-and it was a small studio, barely big enough for the lathe, console and tape machines.
And he stood there, stared at me and didn't say a word. I put the tape up and tried to find out what he was looking for in the way of eq. Nothing. Just the stare.
I mean nothing.
I cut the single, handed it to him and he left, never saying a word.
Later I was told that he was trying to communicate on the astral plane, mind to mind as it were.
Very, very strange.
And then there was the time I was booked for-I thought-Manfred Mann's Earth Band, who I loved, only to find out the song was from Star Wars.
And then there was the time I was sent a 3M digital tape from The Townhouse that wouldn't play back on not just our machine but any machine in LA. That was fun.
Lots more. I cut at the major label level for about 20 years.
Strange days indeed.
Phil Brown

philbrown

Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:19 pm

And then there's Time Fades Away, which would take a book.
Phil Brown

JayDC

Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:28 am

i wrote a song dat was engineered to excite my [now ex] girlfriends private parts.. its called work dat box, many months of testing went into making the lead sound work very well, she would attest to it.. once it got cut and pressed, someting was missing.. :/

digital version does it though, well at least my copy..
generally its for reproduction.. but i like to play wif it sometimes.. :P

JayDC

Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:30 am

it's on kraken records denmark/st holdings uk...

Phinster

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:10 am

Back in the 90's, had a production girl phone up asking what speed I'd cut
this record at. Said I'd have to look at my notes.

But she replied 'don't worry, just send me a cassette and I'll tell from that'

I said OK, never heard back from her........

fraggle

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:39 am

@ aussie
hard to believe that there is an aussie who never smoked dope:) hehe

JayDC

Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:32 am

@Phinster LOL hahahaha!!

Steve E.
Site Admin

Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:45 pm

philbrown wrote:And then there's Time Fades Away, which would take a book.
Phil Brown
I am ALL EARS!!!!! Neil Young stories, pleeze!!

subkontrabob

Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:54 pm

philbrown wrote:a very important WB artist whose name I won't say but he is associated with the color purple.
TAFKAP i presume :lol:

philbrown

Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:59 pm

subkontrabob wrote:
philbrown wrote:a very important WB artist whose name I won't say but he is associated with the color purple.
TAFKAP i presume :lol:
To quote the odious Frencis Urquhart, You might think so, but I could not possibly comment.
Phil Brown

philbrown

Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:14 pm

Steve E. wrote:
philbrown wrote:And then there's Time Fades Away, which would take a book.
Phil Brown
I am ALL EARS!!!!! Neil Young stories, pleeze!!
Got lots but Time Fades Away is pretty well known. No two track master was made. It was cut direct from 16 track using the Quad 8 Compumix system. And the Compumix screwed up so much that the 16 tracks were really worn out by the end of it.
And to answer the question, How did we feed the preview for the Scully, the answer was print a mix on another 16 track and run it.
We had at the time 2 MM1000s that would run together over the 20 minute side. This was pre synchronizer, the MM1000s had regular synchronous motors, not DC servos.
Why the MM1000 and not a 2 track? We didn't have one that would run with the 16 track. And since we were mixing and cutting we used our board EQ-API 550s-and our echo chambers. We had 4 as well as a bunch of EMT plates. And compressors as well as the LA3As in our cutting chain.
As you might imagine it made for interesting cutting.
And it means that even though Tim Mulligan was there for the cutting and did the release on the Archive series the echo alone means that it's not the same as the disc. Those chambers are long gone.
I did Neil's records from time Fades Away to Comes A Time. Very interesting records.
Phil Brown