Starting a label

Who are you? Tell us about yourself, get feedback, and provide links to your work.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

KeeLeh21

Starting a label

Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:40 am

well here is the first draft of my label
leave some feedback guys

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

does anybody even listen to reggae anymore :?

bancho

Re: Starting a label

Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:50 am

KeeLeh21 wrote: does anybody even listen to reggae anymore :?
hehe... more than you would imagine... :wink:

about the label... looks like 80s style... nice!
maybe just an idea... get all your friends/anybody together who can spin the pencil and make a "drawing contest" ... then you pick the best!

KeeLeh21

Re: Starting a label

Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:14 pm

ha thanks for the feedback.

its actually a play on a popular soft drink in the states that came out of texas called "Big Red". just thought it would be clever

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Aussie0zborn

Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:44 am

Doesn't matter what you call your label... its what's in the grooves that counts and the vibe your label eventually creates.

Playing on another product is a waste of your creative time and exposes you to malicious lawsuits. Nobody is going to buy your product because of Big Red's success, but if you have major success Big Red will sue you claiming that your success is a result of using their brand's likeness. Be original!

How many releases have you got lined up? Some very succesful labels started by finding the artists first and then thinking of a name for the label later. Casablanca Records was one of them.

Good luck with the label.

KeeLeh21

Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:20 am

auzzie how did i know you were gonna try to knock me down lol :D

KeeLeh21

Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:29 am

and really man come on, how do you know i have not talked to certain people about a copyright infringement with this, nothing is wrong with it its not the same symbol, i happen to record my own music and music of friends its an ------- independent label dude! moderator or not get off the ---- high horse and come back down to earth dude in no way was your post helpful, you just came off ---------------------- :D

opcode66

Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:37 pm

I think Aussie was honestly trying to be helpful. If you have your vision, go for it. Nothing any of us has to say should deter you!
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

KeeLeh21

Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:37 pm

thanks opcode but i really dont think he was, every time he replies to me its always negative or a complaint. and you always tend to reply too, but in a nicer and more helpful way :lol: i promise im not an idiot

andybee

Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:50 am

sorry, but I think, this is not a place for artwork, but anyway,
the label is nice, but nothing special, don´t expect too much 8)

Aussie0zborn

Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:36 am

Seriously its what in the grooves that counts. Once you put out some good records and your label gets a reputation for good music then your label becomes synonymous with good music and collectors will buy anything you put out (just dont ever let this type of record buyer down by putting out something you know is not up to your own personal standard).

Not everyone can put out one good record after another but if 90% of them are good your label reaches "cool" status and is trusted for good music. At this point, people buy it as soon as they see the label and without even listening to it. We used to press for an indie label that when they worked this out would release four titles at the same time - and all four titles sold in equal quantities.

You need to be known for good reggae - not for being that label that did a take on a soft drink. Forge yor own identity so your graphics remind people of your label and nothing else.

The Trolls are probably more interested in knowing who cut your first release, who plated it, who pressed more than what the label looks like. No offence was intended.

Thank you for changing your signature but I thought you could come up with something better than quoting my PM to you.

All the best with your label.

KeeLeh21

Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:51 pm

well you should have put it that way to begin with. you came off pretty rude, and sorry for getting pissed. well its more than a "soft drink" spinoff it has quite a history in Texas and i just thought it would be clever for people to see it in a way they hadn't before, but anyways its just a small something me and friends thought off just thought people would find it interesting. and i think the signature is funny but if it bugs you i'll change it :)

andybee

Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:48 am

in other words:
you steal a existing design, put some reggae colors to it,
than you post it (with the original).... and wait for comments...
what do you expect?

:roll:

JayDC

Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:35 am

i personally like 1 color designs, as long as they are thought out.... you can do a lot w/ 1 color if you do it right, and it keeps the costs down..
generally its for reproduction.. but i like to play wif it sometimes.. :P

Maistrow

Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:40 pm

To answer your question, does anybody even listen to reggae anymore?
I would have to say yes. I do mastering for several Reggae bands for CD and vinyl.
But perhaps the real question should be is anyone buying music.
Due to the fact the sheer volume of available new music that has made conversion of interested
listeners into actual revenue for the artist and record labels extremely difficult.
Compounding the issue is the diminished value of recorded music in the eyes of the fan.
The view by many that music (and content in general) should be free has now ushered in a need for fan building skills.
With some creative thinking, this could develop into several sources of revenue for your artists and label.
I do like logo, and is on target and keeping within a reggae theme.
Also, are you using the letters SATX in your logo?
Is this not somewhat similar to STAX records? The company in Memphis Tennessee?

mossboss

Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:15 pm

Reggae Sells No doubt about that For one client we press 3-7 K x 7" records per week and its being going for a while like more than a year
Proof is there
12" Not so much about 3K a month
It seems the 7" format is preffered by the reggae fan
Revenue!
It seems that the music has being sold to countless of labels producers manufacturers promoters you name it
So copyright is a big issue as there are more than one person claiming rights bought from somene somewhere whenever with multiple issues of the same tracks by different labels and even names of artists
And it seems that is quite common in the scene
So here lies a problem which is hard to pin down for any re issues as well as what is claimed to be new work
A very carefull search is required as well as very good documentation if one is to take it on
The reggae scene seems to be littered with lawsuits for royalties more so than other genre on a pro rata basis
Just be aware of the issues and good luck with it And I would not be to worried about the label looking like something else so what
Cheers and best of luck
Chris

subkontrabob

Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:08 pm

I listen to reggae too :) (alot of my friends too)

mossy, nice to hear reggae is selling in Australia. Here in Europe reggae vinyl prices are going up, because more and more people are jumping the DVS software bandwagon (or worse, laptop + plastic jogwheel controllers).

yes, 7" is THE reggae vinyl format, as andy can probably tell too :wink:

copyrights and reggae is a messy subject. I haven't had any real insight into this, but fact is, that jamaica used ancient british copyright laws until 1993 or so, only designed to return revenue to English composers that blatantly overlooked native jamaican music.

humongous

SATX

Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:21 am

What does that part of the logo mean?
Jeff Powell
drybonz at aol dot com

philbrown

Re: SATX

Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:55 pm

Know how to make a small fortune in the record business?
(drum roll)
Start with a large one.
Thank you, thank you , tip the veal, try your waitress.
Phil Brown

d1rk

Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:28 pm

yes Phil or lose a fortune trying...