newbie intro...

Who are you? Tell us about yourself, get feedback, and provide links to your work.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

cuttercollector

newbie intro...

Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:11 pm

Hi. Ijust heard about this. Wish I would have known sooner! I am 51 now, so I remember the technology well! Got my first record player @ 3 years and recorded my first disc (still have it) with my parents in an arcade record cutting booth @ the Santa Cruz boardwalk at about age 5. Those were around till I was about 8 or 9. I inherited an old portable accoustic spring wound gramophone from my great uncle, and some of my old 45 records still have shouts of "hello" etched into their leadout grooves from shouting into the place where the sound came out on the little portable gramophone. I tried to guide the arm of that machine across a blank lacquer disc they still had a few of at the electronics store in the 60s. I had positioned an old TV speaker at the sound hole, hooked to a tube amp, hooked to a microphone to try and make primitive records. Even with their erratic hand spaced grooves you could still hear something. I was about 12 when I was doing this. In high school, I got a Wilcox Gay unit and eventually got enough parts replaced to get it to work. I have been collecting all sorts of primarily portable phonographs, disc recorders and tape machines ever since.
I love good sound and am sad that most modern "alt" rock recorded with Protools and reduced to mp3s sounds so .... bland and similar and mediore. Now that technology has given us "infinite" dynamic range and the ability to "fix" every glitch, we have stuff that is perfectly blah! My hope is to someday continue to record good musicians in small groups playing primarily accoustic music (because I like it best) in a variety of styles, direct to some sort of portable stereo disc cutter. Both just for the instant one time record and also for commercial mastering and pressing purposes.

cementimental

Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:54 pm

Cool stuff! :)

Welcome to the board! (if i've been here long enough to say that!? :))