apollo changes on the website

Who are you? Tell us about yourself, get feedback, and provide links to your work.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

leo gonzalez

apollo changes on the website

Wed May 19, 2010 8:05 pm

havent posted in a while, but this really caught my attention today.

http://www.apollomasters.com/products.html

I dont know if anyone has already started a thread on this but it's kinda puzzling me.

I really don't know what to think of it yet.

Any thoughts on this?

slight change on they're strategy...

:shock:

cymbalism

Wed May 19, 2010 10:10 pm

when did this happen? i just checked them a week or two ago and they had prices up
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

Simon

Thu May 20, 2010 12:19 pm

It happened last week.

Quotes only.

I think the issues relate to US prices and the bummed up Euro prices.
Happy to learn something new.
Wanted: Stylus for Presto, Mono heads Grampian, Fairchild, Presto, Fairchild 740 lathes, Presto 8n, 8d 8dg lathes or parts or Presto or wot ever recording Amps, PM me what you have for sale.

mossboss

Lacquers

Thu May 20, 2010 8:30 pm

Simon Right again Transco Blanx is creaming it The US guys are Jumping on Board How good is that?
Choice today? Take it or Leave it
Cheers
Chris

7MAT

Thu May 27, 2010 10:41 am

LOL - you guys are far too quick to jump to conclusions.

As I understand it Apollo has removed the prices by customer request.

Most cutting houses want to keep the price they pay private. They certainly don't want the record companies or their customers knowing what they pay for masters when they mark up by at least 100%.

Have you looked at the exchange rates today? The € buys 1.22 dollars at bank rates. Most business's are lucky to get 1.20. If the markets continue to fall, parity against dollar prices is inevitable. Thats not Apollo or Transco profiteering it's a simple fact of life.

Footnote: In 1982 the price for Apollo 14" Masters was £22 each. Go back further when vinyl was a dominant format the price was even higher - and remember that was when there were four manufacturers, Pyral, Apollo, Transco and MDC.

Simon

Thu May 27, 2010 7:25 pm

A 40ft container from the US to the UK is about £2350 a 20ft is about half the price - I know I ship them. If I were the distributor I would look for the cheapest way to ship to the EU and that way be able to pass on these discounts to the customers.

I am sure that any distributor would get a discount off the normal RRP price.

But again I do not know the pricing structure or discounts that are given, so it is hard to guess.

The only real way to bring the prices down is to introduce a lot more competition or manufacture them in the UK or Europe.
Happy to learn something new.
Wanted: Stylus for Presto, Mono heads Grampian, Fairchild, Presto, Fairchild 740 lathes, Presto 8n, 8d 8dg lathes or parts or Presto or wot ever recording Amps, PM me what you have for sale.

mossboss

Lacquers

Thu May 27, 2010 8:00 pm

Hey 7Mat
Thanks for chipping in mate Good to see that at least here you can get your msg across to a broader audience than Vinyl Juice of which I am a subscriber I should point out
I did post a couple of times with very little response I must say
Ok now lets look at this
Price of Lacquers!
It is no different to vinyl records than is it, or may be not!
They vinyl records, have stayed at the same dollar on-par prices for many years now even thought costs have risen substantialy
If anything they have fallen well behind not even keeping pace with half the inflation rate
If one calculates the amount of records one bought for a weeks pay than and now it will be obvious that records are far cheaper now than ever before
This is not the case with Lacquers That is for sure and that is the point Matt, you can use a calculator so do the comparisson
Sure the cost of a lacquer spread over 100K of records is miniscule but not over 100-300 records, it becomes a major cost and that is the average order today in most plants which also means a lot more Lacquers used
Any way it is what it is, and please do not think for a moment that we as vinyl record cutters producers or whatever do not appreciatte the fact that there is at least a supply of them for us
I would hate to think that the plant in Banning CA would be shut down due to been unprofitable (by its owners)
It is in the make up of humans to always have a go at something that seems a little to cosy
Besides, the fact that Apollo took out Transco has not helped that view You and I and the rest of the world knows very well that monopolies are hardly conducive to good talk or vibes from the buying public
Your explanation is plausible as it seems that every one out there with the demise of CD is looking to add something that will keep them in the Mastering game
So what is next ? OK lets have a go at the record cutting scene
At the end of the day plates will be made in a few plating shops besides, the records will be pressed in one of only 40 odd plants remaining in the world
There may be a lot of cutters out there but not that many plants doing the pressing which is what the consumer gets for all of us to get paid including the initiating artist label whatever
As I said it is what it is so be it
So let us have our little whinge get on our soap box etc
The hard realities are known to everyone in the game
Any way these kind of post's make good reading also it keeps post's coming from you
It is good history here that you always jump in to defend Apollo and your outfit whenever there is a post about lacquers or dubs etc
Hardly any other contributions from you so as to further the cause of which we here, try our hardest to do so
After all it is an open public forum where any one can join without been vetted or having they post's scrutinised by a moderator before they appear for view by the public
A well patronised forum by a variety of people from the newbbie to the pro to the crusty old vinyl plating dude or pressing man or any one that wants to have a say or ask questions seeking help whatever about our passion, without involving money
At the end of the day, as I have already said, it is what it is
Cheers
Chris

flozki

Fri May 28, 2010 6:09 am

"As I understand it Apollo has removed the prices by customer request.
Most cutting houses want to keep the price they pay private. They certainly don't want the record companies or their customers knowing what they pay for masters when they mark up by at least 100%. "

hmm. i think the best thing to explain mastering rates to customers is to show them how much a laquer costs... everybody will understand that the price of a master is divided into work,thel laquer, the stylus, lathe maintenance, rent for the room....

i really dont think that it was done on cutting rooms request. there is nothing to hyde.

the main "cutting houses request" is to have transparent prices. same price in usa and europe or to have the possibility to order directly in usa...

piaptk

Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:53 am

I'm actually surprised at how cheap You mastering guys do it... Especially when one record requires two lacquers (or more if you happen to ruin one (which I'm sure happens to the best of you), a $100 needle, and a $30,000 mastering lathe. My hats off to you guys. I definitely can't imagine any cutting houses wanting to hide the fact they pay at least $30 a side for a lacquer master. I doubt that 99% of people ordering records from plants would want to/ be able to follow the supply chain bck to Apollo, just to make sure that the guy with the uberspecialized skill and equipment wasnt making "unreasonable" profit.

Also, I wish that more people pressing records (customers) would take more of an active interest in getting to know the process. It makes the sting of the price a little easier to handle.

Also, Apollo just sent out a new pricelist, an the prices increase starting August 1st I think. Styli increased $4 and I think the lacquers were a buck or two each.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

45honcho

Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:55 pm

14" masters are $29 each, 12" are $20 each, and 10" are $16.50 each. Just got a price list from them 4 days ago.
I sure am glad we have a good stash of blanks. Can't force myself to pay that kind of money for these discs.

mossboss

Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:08 am

45honcho wrote:14" masters are $29 each, 12" are $20 each, and 10" are $16.50 each. Just got a price list from them 4 days ago.
I sure am glad we have a good stash of blanks. Can't force myself to pay that kind of money for these discs.
So what are you goiing to do when you run low on stock mate Go to the competition AKA MDC and do you think they will try to undercut Apollo?
They will jump on the gravy train as well I can assure you of that
It goes something like this
"when you got someone by the short and curly, The heart and the mind follows"
Alternative is
"they got the gold they make the rules" Like banks do
Please yourself which one you choose
And guess what These guys got the lot of us we will follow have no fear
Unfortunatelly it is what it is
Cheers
Chris

45honcho

Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:27 am

mossboss wrote:
45honcho wrote:14" masters are $29 each, 12" are $20 each, and 10" are $16.50 each. Just got a price list from them 4 days ago.
So what are you goiing to do when you run low on stock mate Go to the competition AKA MDC and do you think they will try to undercut Apollo?
They will jump on the gravy train as well I can assure you of that
It goes something like this
"when you got someone by the short and curly, The heart and the mind follows"
Alternative is
"they got the gold they make the rules" Like banks do
Please yourself which one you choose
And guess what These guys got the lot of us we will follow have no fear
Unfortunatelly it is what it is
Cheers
Not to worry. I will NEVER run low on supply.

mossboss

Lacquers

Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:36 am

Well Well
When one does around 40-50 jobs a week thats 100 lacquers they will run out
At 750 bucks a box you cannot afford to have 1000 sitting around for the next four months
But at a job or two a week it is fine than you will never run out until the next price increase
Cheers
Chris

THD

Lacquer Masters MDC

Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:22 am

Does anyone have a link to MDC's webpages? Can't find it!?

mossboss

Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:44 am

THD
(is this for Total Harminic Distortion?)
MDC lacquers are available in the UK from Tape House
Not sure about the USA
Dont bother with emails to them unless you are a Japanese speaker and than if you are located in Europe they will direct you there any way
Cheers
Chris

THD

Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:36 pm

Thanx for the reply, mossboss.

Yes, you where totally right about that one: Total Harmonic Distortion.