new enthusiast has questions

Who are you? Tell us about yourself, get feedback, and provide links to your work.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

don clasen

new enthusiast has questions

Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:13 pm

Hello- My name is Don Clasen and I am a retired graphic artist. I have recently come into possession of a Presto 8dg disc cutter. The cutter was my uncles who was an operatic tenor and he used it to cut his own recods and those artists of the 50's and 60's.
I have no knowledge of the machine other than it is out of production and I need to find a manual or someone that can help me determine how much repair work is needed.
I know it needs a cutter head either rebuilt or would another brand cutter head be compatible? The motor is sound and runs good but the turntable (lathe) does not rotate. Is there a procedure used to engage the lathe?
I would also like to know the value of such a lathe.
Thanks for reading my inquiry and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Don Clasen

Cutterwoller

Presto 8DG

Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:43 am

Hey Don, I think I can help you. I have one of these lathes myself. I also have a friend in Germany who is very knowledgable on these things. I have a manual for the 8GV which is the model after with vari-groove. Some of it is different but it helped me alot setting up mine. I could not find the 8DG manual anywhere it is to damn rare! The problem you have (with the turntable) sounds pretty simple. The machine is definatly out of production! about 60 years ago! There is no procedure when operating the machine to ingage the motor to the turntable, it should be permanently attached. What cutting system do you have, what does it say on the head. Is it presto, Grampian or maybe somthing else. Is thers an amplifier?

To be honest, I only know the existens of 5 of these machines in the world, My one, two in germany, one in spain and yours. There isn't really a value on these thing. What I mean is, If no one want is, its not worth a penny, however someone might be willing to pay for it. Its impossible to say.

If you send me you'r email addresse. I will send you the manual and hopefully help you get your lathe going.

Which country are you in?

Thanks, lewis. email me..... lewisldurham@gmail.com