New cuts

Who are you? Tell us about yourself, get feedback, and provide links to your work.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Jesus H Chrysler

New cuts

Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:05 pm

I've only been cutting for a few weeks now but I am completely hooked. I've already cut a bunch of picnic plates and old recordio discs and other things... here are some of my more exotic cuts:
These were all cut using a k-10 with a 1-c head
Mr. Evil's theme shaped pic disc 1 of 1 music by ARGG art by John Pundt cut on a clear plastic file jacket, spray glued to the artwork and cut to shape

Not Sonic Man, ULTRA Sonic Man by Subterranean Bleu Mind(s) 1 of 1 cut on a holographic pocket folder cover. interesting phenomena on this one: the holographic semi spheres in it create an audible sound in my grooves that sounds a bit like a dj skratching with a test tone in the background...really noticeable in the silent end grooves. kooky

Love Monarchy by Miss Chocolate Cake 1 of 1 cut on a notebook cover...this one sounds like crap, the needle basically just scraped the ink off it without cutting into the plastic, but it looks cute

my cuts are still a little noisy but I'm getting a new needle from transco on monday so hopefully that'll help a good bit

cementimental

Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:40 am

Looks good!

Jesus H Chrysler

Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:39 pm

thanks. I'm having lots of fun with it. even sold some records at my last show.

JayDC

Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:55 pm

Hows your sound going, and what are you cutting with?..

Steve E.
Site Admin

Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:17 pm

The "Not Sonic Man" record is gorgeous!!

Jesus H Chrysler

Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:05 pm

the sound is not bad considering the age of the machine. the 1-c head is capable of a pretty loud cut, but the high frequencies get a little crunchy. Re-capping the amp and remagnetizing the head will probably help with that. I somehow managed to trash my new needle in the first couple of days. pricey mistake that was. And it was cutting soooo sweetly too.

So I'm back to my trusty old presto sapphire which despite being well used cuts pretty quiet on the generic plastic plates. The Solo plates are too screechy on it. Hefty plates work ok, but the piggly wiggly store brand plates so far are the best. A little flimsy though. The Not Sonic Man record actually cut really well, I just wish I had cut it louder or could find more of those folders to do some more.

thanks for the kind words.