The Victrola Guy cuts Lathe Troll cylinders

Who are you? Tell us about yourself, get feedback, and provide links to your work.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

drdub

Re: DR. DUB ON A 1920 STANDARD BROWN WAX CYLINDER

Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:27 am

oh man this is great !

so among all audio material available you chose our little clip.

were honored, thanks !

cheers mex
satan spins vinyl

*** www.drdub.com ***

THEVICTROLAGUY

STEVE ESPINOLA / LECTURE / EDISON CYLINDER RECORDING

Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:53 pm

i snagged the audio from Steve's webpage and transferred it to a black wax recording blank, send me an audio file of you speaking and i will put it on a cylinder for you, two minutes is the limit. it can be the spoken word, a joke, a poem, anything at all....

Benjamin

https://www.youtube.com/embed/YiFgXtrXSjs?feature=player_detailpage

THEVICTROLAGUY

DR. DUB CHEESY DOCUMENTARY / MP4 TRANSFER / BLACK WAX BLANK

Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:56 pm

i snagged the audio off of the dr. dub you tube video to see how it would transfer using the new recorder. this is the you tube video playing on my ipad, i plugged the headphone output into the amp, this is a direct transfer from the you tube video to an original Edison black wax dictation cylinder that has been trimmed and shaved for use on the Edison phonograph.

these are the best recording blanks available, i have hundreds of them in stock. each blank can be shaved and used between 15 and 18 times before they get physically too small in diameter for the recorder to touch them. they can be chemically shaved using naphtha but it leaves the surface a bit noisy, but if you do not have access to a shaver this is an accepted practice. many of Edison's original field recorders would carry naphtha with them for this purpose. using a shaver the surface is mirror bright and virtually noiseless, they make really bright crisp recordings and produce little swarf.

this was just an experiment, lots of frequencies in this recording as well as volume changes, it s always interesting to hear how the cylinder trims the frequencies, and specific frequencies, the cylinder drops off sharply at 4,000 hz, is deaf to 5,000 hz. , but can reproduce transients in the 6,000 hz. range. the low end is 100 hz, with a bit of warble audible at 85 hz. the length of the horn is also a limiting factor, the longer the horn the more long waves it can capture, metal horns are frightfully inefficient at reproducing long waves at all, thus the " tinny " effect. a horn made of wood has a very different sound, as does a horn made of fiberboard. the denser the materiel and the longer the horn the more long waves you can capture. in this case the cylinder is so inefficient at the low end there are no long waves to capture.

Benjamin
http://www.youtube.com/embed/OplXywuOCDo?feature=player_embedded

Steve E.
Site Admin

Consolidated Edison: Lathe Trolls guys by THE VICTROLA GUY

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:12 pm

More consolidation of great links!

Steve E.
Site Admin

Re: flip side of the sun / steve espinola / mp3 transfer

Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:40 pm

Wow!! I am honored!

jjgolden

Re: flip side of the sun / steve espinola / mp3 transfer

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:36 pm

So great! Love it

THEVICTROLAGUY

that really awesome guy with a guitar, edison cylinder !!

Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:16 pm

i snagged the audio file off tragwag's website and did a quick transfer to a cylinder. while this is not a disc i think it demonstrates what is possible with a cylinder recording. this is a purely acoustic recording, as is the playback itself. i spent a great deal of time developing this recording process and think it can compare favorably with many lathe recorded discs i have heard. there is a lot of interest and money in this, custom cylinder recordings are in demand and literally only a handful of people in the entire world doing this. it is unique and it is quite fun and it is also quite profitable. i hope this is received in the spirit it was intended. a fun demonstration of modern recording on the Edison cylinder phonograph. this is an mp3 transfer to a black wax recording blank running at 130 rpm.

COMPLIMENTS TO TRAGWAG......

playing through the archivette
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogPO7-oi8Io
playing through a morning glory horn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYEuX5KA_1c

Steve E.
Site Admin

Re: that really awesome guy with a guitar, edison cylinder !

Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:34 am

Super cool!!!

Steve E.
Site Admin

The Victrola Guy cuts Lathe Troll cylinders

Mon May 05, 2014 11:59 am

yes!