herb alpert / mp3 transfer / nuphonic brown wax

Who are you? Tell us about yourself, get feedback, and provide links to your work.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

THEVICTROLAGUY

herb alpert / mp3 transfer / nuphonic brown wax

Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:43 pm

i picked up 37 original nuphonic brown wax blanks on ebay for $ 37.00 !!! a buck each. these are the highest quality recording blanks i have used, they are chocolate brown in color, very low background noise and make bright crisp recordings even as slow speed. this is recorded at 100 rpm and is a mp3 transfer from the audio of a you tube video playing on my ipad, even at this speed this sounds as good as a portable cassette tape recorder, considering this is a spring powered acoustic phonograph the results are impressive. the blanks were made circa 1920 and were originally dictation cylinders. i have shortened them to 4.3" which fills the mandrel to the end and shaved them to a diameter of 2.180 " an optimum size for the cylinder phonograph. these cylinders are not seen very ofter and i will be using them to record high quality copies of original period recordings. this is just a test of the capability of the blanks.