MOVED: Presto 14-B Lathe/Gotham Amps

Who are you? Tell us about yourself, get feedback, and provide links to your work.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

saxonrecording

MOVED: Presto 14-B Lathe/Gotham Amps

Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:42 pm

Hello Everybody! I have a Presto 14-B Record Cutting Lathe with a pair of Gotham Audio PFB-150WA Tube Power Amplifiers. It is one of several restoration projects that I have going on. I am looking for others who are interested in exchanging and sharing notes, information etc. on these systems.

The last several years I have been collecting equipment to ultimately setup a 1950s period Recording Control Room which will include Ampex-351 Mono and Stereo-350 1/4" Recorders, a one of a kind customized Gates 10 channel Tube "Dual TV" Recording console, Altec 604-B Studio Monitors with McIntosh Power Amps and of course the Presto cutting gear.

The main challenge that is ahead, is finding the time to work on all this stuff, fortunately there is no deadline, except of course to be able to finish it all and enjoy it within this lifetime!

Thanks!
Dave Anderson
"Mono Full Track is the Future!"

cuttercollector

Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:54 pm

What head will you use? Gotham amps were used with Grampian heads to a degree, but if you are "going stereo" with 2 amps, AFAIK Grampian never made a stereo head. Do these amps have a provision for the introduction of the feedback coil signal? Perhaps a Westrex head could be used? Or?
Presto probably will need to be adapted to use any stereo head.
BTW, Presto did at least in prototype form build a stereo head. It was made under license from Westrex and was a copy of their technology.
I have never heard of anybody who has actually seen one - only pictures.

Cutterwoller

Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:53 am

I'v got a 50s setup, I could help you. I've got a Presto 8DG, Grampian cutter amp and grampian head. What do you need to know? Can you put some pictures up of the 14B?

Cheers

Steve E.
Site Admin

Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:47 am

This sort of thread should probably go in one of the top two sections....let's try to keep this place organized. (I moved it.) Anyway, welcome!